cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Confused

Go to solution

I'm looking for a longer ethernet cable. So I can move my hub to plug in a main socket instead of using a extension lead. I took the time to look at the smart hub 2 user manual which said I need to get a cat5e cable, something which is already plugged in, running and working fine. Just wanted a longer length. I've looked online. But unable to understand anything. There are loads of different types  of cables : RJ45,molded, snagged, assembled, patched, booted, unbooted, crossover, shielded, non shielded, utp, twisted. Some types are even described as patched and booted rj45. I just don't understand all these names/words. The one I've most recent looked at a cat5e cable on bt's shop, the 7 m one is  described as being suitable for " network conduits and raceways " which is another thing adds to the confusion. 

When I asked on bt's live chat I was told to get a twisted cable. But on the descriptions of some twisted cables some are " patched ", " booted " and some are rj45. So to clarify I went back on bt chat which I'm told I don't need the cat5e cable. Which doesn't coincide with the smart hubs manual. Something as simple as getting a longer cable and I can't make sense of all the different names, descriptions. The one I own is a cat5e " patched " one, it says on the cable. 

Any help or advice in knowing what to get would help 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Confused

Go to solution

What service do you have?

If FTTP then yes, you need a Cat 5e ethernet cable. All you need to concern yourself with is the length as nothing else is relevant in this scenario.

If ADSL/vDSL then you need an RJ11 cable. Either way, Ebay or Amazon will sort you out cheaply.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, 

I would suggest getting a TP Link power line which will solve your issue.  They use the electrical cabling within the house 

you plug one plug near the router and connect the ethernet into the bottom of the plug and the other  to an available port. And plug the other plug near the device, Again connection one Ethernet to the plug and one to the device. 

Hope it helps 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I believe I have the essential fibre broadband. I got sent the smart hub 2 and the cat5e cable which I'm currently using.

Should I go for the " patched " cable which is written on the cable I'm using now. And not worry about if its booted, unbooted or rj45?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

All ready made ethernet cables are RJ45 & everything else is, as I said, irrelevant. The only thing to avoid is a crossover cable, although that would probably work too.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks. Much appreciated xx

0 Ratings