cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Connecting garden room to internet with Smart Hub 2

I have a garden room about 80ft from the house and trying to connect to our household internet. A cat6 EV data cable has been run from the garden room to the the house (entering under the stairs) We have the latest smart hub 2 sat in a living room at front of house. I have used the a disc which came with SH2 to sit under the stairs and connected the cat6 cable into it. Before I buy more hardware I want to know if just having another disc in the garden room attached to the cat6 cable will work? Or do I need another router in the garden room? Advice welcome. Had a BT engineer round who was a bit green and had no idea other than to suggest buying a mini hub for the garden room but cant believe that is the best route when have invested in cat6 hardwiring to get proper speed. 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Connecting garden room to internet with Smart Hub 2

@Tigers1975 

A wireless access point is a better and simpler option.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

About £20.

Very simple to set up.

Message 3 of 18

Fully agree with Keith. You have already done the hard work by running the Ethernet cable to the Garden room. All you need to do now is connect a wireless access point to the Ethernet cable in the Garden Room.

Message 4 of 18

Thank you for the quick response and this certainly sounds promising. Will give it a go. Might reach out again if still struggling to connect. Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

If you want both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi bands, there is the https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa1201/

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Its actually very easy to setup compared with some of the earlier TP Link ones. Its just a case of connection it up, then logging into its default SSID to make any changes. Is usually better to give it a separate SSID to the home hub, and then adding that new SSID to the list of wireless connections that devices can connect to.

That avoids any confusion as to which wireless station you are connected to.

Message 7 of 18

Thanks Keith, is there any concern that the Smart Hub 2 wont allow me create a separate network as such? I'm still a little nervous but have ordered one and will see how to go. Appreciate all the comments. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Its just plug and play. There is nothing to configure/change in the BT Hub.

Plug it in and you will see the Tp Link as a separate SSID, just connect to it and away you go.

Message 9 of 18

@Keith_Beddoe @licquorice 

I have now received the wireless access point and set it up using my smart hub 2 to create a new ssid. I'm trying this out within the house at the moment to test using other devices via the new network. Whilst the new ssid is visible to other devices they wont seem to connect?  Any idea why this would be? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Are you sure you are entering the right WiFi password

0 Ratings