cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Connecting garden room to internet with Smart Hub 2

Did you change the wireless password on the access point, and did you enter the new password on the connecting devices?

Remember, the wireless password is not the one you use to access the settings page when you first connected to the access point (you have to define that initially).

Did you follow the setup process where it asks you to connect to the default TP Link SSID and go to the TP Link web page?

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wa801n/

I have setup many of these devices, and this is the easiest one to configure.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

So I think I followed the set up correctly for a wireless access point and no problem creating the new name. I did keep password the same as is on the bottom of the tp link (maybe that is an issue?) However I can connect devices to that new wireless network but only if I have the TP access point hard wired to my SH2. 

As soon as I take it elsewhere in house then I get a "connected but without internet" message. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

It has to be wired to the SH2, otherwise it will not get a connection. Its a wireless access point, not a repeater.

You need to connect it to the Ethernet cable in your garden room, which is wired back to the SH2 or the existing disc.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

The TP Link wireless access point needs to be connected to the Smarthub. 

You have said you have run Ethernet cable to your Garden Room. Plug one end of the cable into the Smarthub and the other end, the one in the garden room, into the Wireless access point and this will allow any devices to connect wirelessly to the wireless access point and to the Internet.

If you don't have it connected to the Smarthub by Ethernet, while the wireless access point will transmit a wireless signal, there is no connection to the Internet and as such it will allow your devices to connect to the wireless access point but your device will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Message 15 of 18

Thanks Keith, 

Probably worth me explaining that while the cat6 cable has been run down to the garden room I'm waiting for the electrician to return and fit a connector so it can be plugged into a wireless access point. In the house (under stairs) he has managed this and so I had connected that to an extender disc which BT provided with my SH2. You seem confident this should still work? The disc is definitely picking up a wireless connection from my SH2 (solid blue light) 

All fun and games, I do appreciate the responses though, thank you

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

The disc is entirely irrelevant.

You need to connect as below.

Hub > Cat 6 cable > Access point.

Exactly the same as you had it connected within the house just that the cable is now going from the house to the garden room rather than just a short link.

Why on earth didn't the electrician connect an RJ45 plug to each end of the cable when he ran it?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Thanks @licquorice @Keith_Beddoe 

So, based on this seems my next move might be to be get BT to move or extend my entry point into the under stairs area where the cat6 cable is? You seem sure that I can't do the following. 

Hub>Disc>Cat6>Access Point. 

Electrician managed to crimp one end ok but struggled in garden room. It is quite a thick EV cable (8 wires?) 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

We all assumed you had run the Cat6 cable from the hub to the garden room, why you didn't I have no idea.

I don't have any BT WiFi discs but I believe that it should still work as you have described.

0 Ratings