cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Daisy chaining routers.

Go to solution

Hi. I have an ongoing problem with a works provided MacBook Pro which refuses to open web pages, whether  WiFi or cabled (err_name_not_resolved is the error thrown up). My I.T. department swapped it for me but after a week or so the new machine is doing the same. My windows and android machines work happily as does the MacBook if tried on my phone's hotspot or a neighbour's non b.t. network. B.T. have tried everything they can think of regarding the router, but no improvement. However, swapping the current Smart Hub 2 for it's predecessor cures the problem, but means my complete WiFi discs (the black ones) are useless. Is there any way to try using the older Hub as the router/gateway just for the MacBook, leaving everything else on the Hub 2 and discs? 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Daisy chaining routers.

Go to solution

Yes, simply give it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub (say, 192.168.1.20), turn off DHCP and connect it to the main hub LAN port to LAN port.

I suspect your Mac doesn't like the 2 wifi bands having the same SSID. You can try turning off the 5Ghz band on your SH2 and see if that fixes the problem.

Also make sure MAC address randomisation is turned off on the Macbook.

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I do remember the BT guy saying he was turning off one of the 2 wifi bands remotely. Unfortunately it didn't cure the problem. But thanks for those instructions - I'll try that when I get home.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

well....sadly it didn't solve the problem. Your method works great as my other kit happily connected to the new router - both cable and wifi. But unfortunately, whatever it is on the Hub 2 that is upsetting the Macbook seems to be passing through this configuration as it still won't connect to anything on the web. Worth trying though, thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

That is totally weird. I know nothing of Apple devices, so can't give detailed instructions, but rather than letting the Mac book get its DNS information from the hub, manually set primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary to 8.8.4.4 on your Ethernet and Wireless network adapters.

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks..... I'll try this tonight when I get back from work. And yes.....all the people I've dealt with would agree with your 'totally weird' comment. Especially given the replacement MacBook worked happily on my network for a couple of weeks before starting with exactly the same problems as its predecessor!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

How about configuring the other way round? So make the SH the main router & the SH2 (with discs) the access point. That's assuming you can connect the Mac to the SH's WiFi without the aid of the discs.

Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@AndyDo  if it worked for a couple of weeks before stopping, it sounds as though the routing tables in the SH2 are getting 'clogged up'. Try a factory reset of the SH2 to see if that restores connectivity. If it does make sure that MAC address randomisation is turned off on the Macbook which could be the cause of the SH2 problem.

Otherwise try @rbz5416 's idea

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks both. BT did do a remote factory reset when trying to sort it the other night - no change unfortunately. 

If I reverse the order of routers would I simply follow Licquorice's previous instructions but applied to the opposite routers - and will the Discs be ok with this arrangement? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@AndyDowrote:

If I reverse the order of routers would I simply follow Licquorice's previous instructions but applied to the opposite routers - and will the Discs be ok with this arrangement? 

Yes to the first point, remembering to restore the IP address of the SH to 192.168.1.254 & re-enabling DHCP.

As for the discs, I'd assume so but have no knowledge of them. Didn't even know they were tied to the SH2 as I thought they'd been around longer than that. If the discs need DHCP on the SH2 you may have to enable that & disable on the SH. Shouldn't really matter as long as there's only one DHCP server in operation.