cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Dhcp authority

Hello,

I am setting up home on my own and have no clue with routers. I tried to set up a canary home camera and it said to disable the firewall but 1: I think I switched the dchp off and then all my other devices disconnected from the network and 2: I have no idea how to do that. The other problem I'm having is with the dhcp authorative yes and no underneath, I have server adhd and was meant to put the setting back yesterday and then got distracted and can't remember if it is meant to say yes or no 🤦🏼‍♀️ has anyone set up a canary Pro indoor camera with a bt hub before and had any issues with this? I would really appreciate anyone's suggestions, I am trying to learn more about networking as a whole so I would really appreciate a reply, many thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Dhcp authority

Factory reset the BT hub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This will restore the hub to how it was when you first got it.

You should not need to turn off the BT Hubs firewall to connect a camera. This would leave your home network very vulnerable to attack.

If you supply the full name and model number of the camera so that forum members can help you connect it. 

Message 3 of 3

Re: Dhcp authority

First of all whatever you do, DO NOT disable the firewall. It isn't necessary and will leave your network exposed.

If you are intending to view the camera away from home, you will need to forward the necessary port(s) to do so. The camera instructions will state which ports need forwarding. Post back if you need to do this as it is fairly complicated if you are not used to networking.

It doesn't really matter if Authoritative DHCP is On or Off, it is just a gimmick that is supposed to correct any addressing problems (If your device is using the wrong IP address, the Hub will try to correct it so the connection doesn't break) although I doubt very much if it will. Might as well leave it on.

DHCP needs to be On to allocate your devices an IP address.