cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Wi-Fi drops momentarily but several times a day

I have noticed that several times a day I get a notification on my laptop that my connect has been restored.

This coincides with pauses on our Google speaker which is playing the radio (BBC).

Mobile devices also pause but it is less noticeable.

I haven't noticed it on ethernet connections but we only have one TV connected by ethernet along with a TP-Powerlink which connects to several others which broadcast Wi-Fi.

Any suggestions as to the causes of the signal drops?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Wi-Fi drops momentarily but several times a day

Hi @Navrig,

I am sorry to see that you appear to have WiFi connection issues.

Do you mainly have issues with wireless connections direct to your Smart Hub or are these devices connected to your TP-Powerlink?

Can you remove the TP-Powerlink from your set up to see if your wireless connection improves?

Thank you

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Happens when connected to both/either.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Thanks @Navrig.

Can you make sure to remove the TP-Powerlink from the equation completely and connect your devices to the Smart Hub then?

I need to make sure that it's not on the network at all when your wireless isn't performing as it should be.

Once this has been done, check out our help guide here WiFi drops to see if it helps you.

Thanks,

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Interesting behaviour.

The router wifi signal seems to drop so my device then switches to a TP-Link wifi signal.  That TP-Link is hard wired via the electrical cables to the 13 amp point adjacent to the router where is connected by ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

"Once this has been done, check out our help guide here WiFi drops to see if it helps you."

Been through that and other than moving the router or connecting everything by ethernet (not physically possible) it has all been done.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

The Google speaker is connected to the router by wifi and its service is interrupted.

Our TVs and other speaker are connected via wifi to TP-Link.  They are not interrupted.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Hi, @Navrig it could be that the TP-link and Smart are on the same wifi channels and the hub is changing the wifi channel to mitigate interference. Have you tried manually setting the wifi channel on your Hub to see if that helps? There are also wifi analyzer apps that will tell you which channels are least congested to help you choose the best one.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Thanks  Neil.  I've been away for a few days.  It's still happening so I'll have a look at the channel settings.

We didn't have these issues with the previous router.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

The router gives very limited channel options. Typically Smart and 3 others.
Using Wifi Analyser Premium I can see the optimum channels and none are the same as those offered by the router,
0 Ratings