cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Do BT routers automatically switch between 2.4 and 5Gz?

My Apple Homepod Minis keep disconnecting. Found this advice: "If your router automatically switches devices between the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, see if there’s a way you can turn this option off for your mini, as it may get confused if it keeps being switched between bands." Looks like my BT hub is on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so might this be the problem ? and can I turn it off so it's only on one band? Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Do BT routers automatically switch between 2.4 and 5Gz?

it's your device that makes the choice of which band to connect to not the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

You can turn off the 5G on the home hub to prove whether that is the issue.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Archive-Staging/Disabling-5Ghz-on-the-Smart-Hub-2/m-p/1992466

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks! Good to know. I'll give that a try and see what happens (I guess that'll have a knock on effect elsewhere - but Hey Ho)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi @paulcarstairs and welcome to our community.

Some great advice posted by both @Keith_Beddoe and @imjolly . I'd be interested to know how this goes so please post back and update us.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

There's no guarantees but you could try telling your device to forget it's current wi-fi connection and then establishing it again whilst the 5GHz is temporarily disabled

0 Ratings