cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Eero network slow with BT 500m fibre

Hi everyone, newbie alert!

Apologies I can't find the specific answer I was looking for so am starting a new thread.

I have recently moved to BT 500m fibre from Sky copper broadband. 

I have an Eero mesh network throughout my home which I rely on massively to extend my network around the home and to garden room office. This Eero network worked seamlessly on the old copper broadband and I would get pretty much the same network speed on the Eero network as I did direct from the Sky router.

Now I have the BT Home Hub and 500m fibre, I do get full speed Wifi if I connect direct to the BT Hub, but, when I connect to my Eero network now, I can get anything from 13mb up to 300mb but rarely full speed.

The main issue is the Eero speed is now very intermittent and more often than not its less than 50mb which causes me issues when working.

Now, I am not technical, so abbreviations, words, etc... are not in my vocabulary when it comes to this stuff. I am happy to change settings and move things, but any advice needs to be in real laymans terms.

I hope someone can help me and its just something I need to adjust to make the system work properly with fibre???

Fingers crossed and thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Eero network slow with BT 500m fibre

I think a little more information would help:

Are you connecting the Eero system to the BT Hub or to the ONT (white box fixed to the wall)?

Do you know which Eero system you are using?

How have you been measuring the performance?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi @countrypaul , thanks for replying.

I have the Eero connected by ethernet cable into the number 1 port of the BT hub router (not the white box). 

The BT hub is connected to the white box which is connected via ethernet to the WAN input on the BT router.

I am using the original Eero mesh system, so not the 6, 6+ or pro models. Its the first iteration I think.

Yes I've been measuring the performance regularly and its all over the place. Before with sky it was stable and pretty much matched the incoming router performance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Yes, that helps as it clarifies the setup with the BT hub.

I worked out that you must have been measuring performance with Sky as well as BT, but how? Are you using a PC plugged in to the BT Hub with Ethernet, or a Pad using WiFi? Which performance measuring site are you using?

Since you have WiFi possible through the Eero have you disabled WiFi on the BT Hub? If not and if measuring performance over Eero WiFi might be worth doing so. It might be worth checkig performance when WiFi connected directly to the BT Hub beforehand. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi there, 

so just to make things a bit clearer, I am measuring wifi speed only (not direct via ethernet). I am doing this via a mobile device connected to wifi and using the site fast.com. I have also used BT's own wifi speed test service with similar results.

I have always had 2 networks running historically, one network from the manufacturers router and then the Eero system connected into that router to create a second mesh network. Both would always be running simultaniously, historically without any issue.

With Sky, using the speed test site above, I would get around 90mb when connected to the Sky hub and 90mb from the Eero mesh network.

With BT, using the same speed test and with both wifi networks connected the same way, I get 470mb when connected to the BT hub network and anything between 13mb or 350mb from the eero mesh network. 

I'd be able to live with 350mb from the Eero network if it was stable, the problem is its up and down constantly, every few minutes it will slow down, then speed back up again. The speed test from the BT hub however remains consistently strong at full speed.

I will try as you suggest and disable wifi from the BT hub, leaving just the Eero mesh running, can you tell me how I do this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I think the easiest set of instructions are here: How do I turn wi-fi on and off on the BT Hub? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

So, just by means of an update. I've tried turning off the WiFi on the hub so that the eero was the only WiFi and it made zero difference. 

I really don't understand why the eero doesn't like the bt fibre broadband.

Any more ideas greatly welcomed as this is becoming a real problem.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@mod_mental 

If you've just turned off both the 2.4 & 5GHz wireless channels then hub is still transmitting a wifi signal for BT Wifi. Try disabling the wifi completely and see if that changes things.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Are you using BT Digital Voice - DV?

If you are not you can dispense with the BT hub and connect the Eero to the ONT - the little white box on the wall.

The ethernet lead from the ONT will go direct to the Eero wan port.

You will  need to configure the Eero in the Eero app to be a pppoe connection with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com with anything you want in the password field. Most people use BT.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 10 of 13

OK, I'm happy to try this as a next solution, but hpw do i turn off WiFi more than switching off the 2.4 and 5ghz sliders?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20230411-084033_Chrome.jpg

0 Ratings