cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Ethernet Wired Connection Query

I have a PC and a console in my bedroom and I would like these to be connected to the broadband using an ethernet cable as I believe its more efficient than using the WI-FI. 

If the whole installation procession was to be done downstairs; would I just be able to unplug the router and plug into my bedroom. I have a master socket next to my double socket but it is not a BT OpenReach just a plain master socket. Can i just plug the ethernet into this and be able to connect to my PC or;  do the engineers have to install in my bedroom. 

Im just a bit worried as they are arriving on Friday and Im thinking of cancelling as I fear they may be problems

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ethernet Wired Connection Query

You do not say what sort  of Broadband you are getting, is it FTTP, FTTC or just ADSL? You do not mention where the existing service enters your flat nor where fibre is likely to enter if that is what you are getting, so it makes it difficult to give accurate answers. You do not say whether you have multiple telephone sockets.

There can only be one master socket which you say is in your bedroom, any others are slaves or secondary, so if you are getting FTTC or ADSL you can simply use that master socket - though Openreach may change the faceplate and connect the secondary to the faceplate rather than main box.

Ethernet requires CAT5/5e/6/6a so you cannot normally run Ethernet over telephone cable, however you can certainly run telephone services over Cat5/5e/6/6a. 

If you are getting FTTP then you will have to agree with the Openreach engineer (or contractor) where the ONT will be located but they may be willing to put that in the bedroom.

I have assumed that you re getting a service directly and not through the Landlord building infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

You do not say what sort  of Broadband you are getting, is it FTTP, FTTC or just ADSL? You do not mention where the existing service enters your flat nor where fibre is likely to enter if that is what you are getting, so it makes it difficult to give accurate answers. You do not say whether you have multiple telephone sockets:

Reply: It doesnt state, I checked on my email and it said Broadband Fibre 2 what category does this go under? and I live in a terraced home but I have seen some other houses have fibre installed so I presume its an existing service. My bedroom is at the front house so I presume its convenient?

There can only be one master socket which you say is in your bedroom, any others are slaves or secondary, so if you are getting FTTC or ADSL you can simply use that master socket - though Openreach may change the faceplate and connect the secondary to the faceplate rather than main box.

Reply: How can I identify what the main master socket is? In my house all together we have 4 of the sockets; 2 being in 2 bedrooms, 1 in the living room and the other one in the hall near to the front door (to also point out it has a openreach logo - this was probably by the last tenants).

We already have a broadband by post office at home and the wifi only worked in certain areas so there were sometimes where I would bring the router to my room - connect it to the socket and it worked? Is this different with BT can it work on openreach master socket? 

I have assumed that you re getting a service directly and not through the Landlord building infrastructure.

Reply: Uh oh..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@axshaukwrote:

You do not say what sort  of Broadband you are getting, is it FTTP, FTTC or just ADSL? You do not mention where the existing service enters your flat nor where fibre is likely to enter if that is what you are getting, so it makes it difficult to give accurate answers. You do not say whether you have multiple telephone sockets:

Reply: It doesnt state, I checked on my email and it said Broadband Fibre 2 what category does this go under? and I live in a terraced home but I have seen some other houses have fibre installed so I presume its an existing service. My bedroom is at the front house so I presume its convenient?

Fibre 2 is FTTC delivered as VDSL so a speed upto 74MB/s iirc using the normal copper telephone cable.

Reply: How can I identify what the main master socket is? In my house all together we have 4 of the sockets; 2 being in 2 bedrooms, 1 in the living room and the other one in the hall near to the front door (to also point out it has a openreach logo - this was probably by the last tenants).

We already have a broadband by post office at home and the wifi only worked in certain areas so there were sometimes where I would bring the router to my room - connect it to the socket and it worked? Is this different with BT can it work on openreach master socket? 

If you can check where the telephone wire comes in, the closest socket to that is likely to be the master, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the hall.  If you already have broadband by the post office, in moving to BT it is likely that the only thing you will have to do is change the router to the one from BT.

Reply: Uh oh..

Since you probably won't need to change any wiring or drill any more holes, I suspect  it will have no effect on your landlord.

None of this solves your original problem, if you cannot easily run an ethernet cable from your bedroom down to the router in the hall (for arguments sake) then there are a couple of solutions you might want to look at.  One is Powerline adapters, these plug into mains 13A sockets one near the router with Ethernet cable between router and Powerline adapter and one near your PC. The performance of these is usually lower than the advertised maximum and they don't always work that well, but as a first step buy then from somewhere you can return them if they don't meet your requirements (or borrow some if you can). Some are available with a power socket so you could plug something into the adapter to save on extension leads etc. It is also possible to have more than just 2 adapters if you need a games console as well as PC in the bedroom. You can also get these adapters that have WiFi to expand the area for your WiFi reception.  Look at the BT Powerline range - and also recommendations on this community.

If you need more than one Ethernet outlet as I have mentioned, you could get multiple powerline adapters (though only one master). Another option is if the post office router does not need to be returned, you could use that as a switch and WiFi Access Point.

Performance of Broadband can be significantly impacted by the internal telephone extensions, so it can be worth trying the router directly into the test socket of the Openreach box with the faceplate removed (assuming it can be) you may need a broadband filter to do so (should come with the router) to see if the internal wiring is limiting your broadband. This is probably best done after the BB has settled down.

0 Ratings