cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Ethernet cable

Hi. Just got set up with full fibre today.  And using the ethernet cable with red ends.  

Can I use any extension ethernet cable as long as its cat 5e or above.  So I can get the router back into the living room.  As I'm having connection problems in the far off rooms.  

I've seen ones on amazon.  But making sure it's okay first

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ethernet cable

the red cable is nothing special just help identify it so yes any ethernet cable 5E or better will do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ethernet cable

If you are struggling to get good wifi signals in parts of the house you could consider using Ethernet Powerline Adapters.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Basically these are units that plug into your mains plug sockets and they send the ethernet signal from your router/smart hub round your mains supply.  This means you can plug units in any room using any plug socket and then connect your PC/laptop or other device (that has an ethernet socket).  In other words your devices will use cable connection rather than wifi connection.  Ethernet powerline adapters are really versatile things.  For example I wanted to get a network cable up into my house loft space where I put a CCTV recording box but there was absolutely no way I could do that with the router downstairs in the living room.  So I just used Ethernet Powerline Adapters and stuck one into the electric plug socket that I already had in the loft.  

0 Ratings