cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Extending Wi-Fi to Summer House

Go to solution

I want to extend my wi-fi to a summer house that is around 15m from the main property. I am going to run an Ethernet cable from the existing BT router to the summer house, but would like to know what I need at the other end, is it best to use another router or wireless access point?

I want the existing BT router to continue to provide wi-fi in the main property, but then to also have a second wireless access point in the summer house to act as a second wireless access point, but also to be able to put the tv in to this hardwired.

I am just not sure on whether I need a second router or just a wireless access point in the summer house. 

The second question is around the configuration, is this easy enough to setup once the Ethernet cable is put in place?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extending Wi-Fi to Summer House

Go to solution

Just use a wireless access point at the summerhouse end. You can get ones for about £40.

If you also need an Ethernet connection make sure it also has more than one Ethetnet connection point.

Most are plug and play as they come with the wireless access point set as default.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Ok thank you, I just wasn't sure if there was a limitation of using a wireless access point in the summer house as well as the BT router also proving wireless access in the main property.

I had seen somewhere that you needed to turn off the wi-fi on the main router but I suspect that is only when using another router as the access point rather than extending it using an additional wireless access point?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

There is no need to turn off the wifi on the hub using an Ethernet connected AP, you are probably thinking of when using the whole home mesh system when it is recommended to turn off the main router wifi as it doesn't form part of the mesh.

You can either give the AP the same SSID (network name) as the hub or its own SSID. My preference is for discrete SSIDs as you then know which source you are connecting to.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

OK makes sense! I will start having a look for some wireless access points with two ethernet ports.

Thanks.

0 Ratings