cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Extending wifi

Go to solution
  • I need to get WiFi into a garden building. I’ve run a Cat6a cable to the building. Which socket on the smart hub do I use? Also, I need a WiFi signal in the shed and I need to run IP CCTV cameras from the shed… suggestions for an IT dinosaur please?? Thanks
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extending wifi

Go to solution

Plug the Ethernet cable into any of the LAN (Yellow) sockets on the Smarthub. At the garden building end you will need a Wireless access point so that you get a wireless signal in the garden building.

TP Link have numerous wireless access points starting in price at about £22 on Amazon.

You would plug it into the electric and the Ethernet cable into the socket on the rear and then connect to the wireless signal using the passkey that will come with it. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you 😊. Nice and simple 👍 how about the ip/Poe cctv cameras? Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Depending on your set up, you could use a POE Switch in the garden room. This would need to be connected to your Ethernet cable from the Smarthub. You would then run an Ethernet cable from the switch to your Wireless Access Point to give you wifi in the garden room.

Then you connect an Ethernet cable to another port of the POE Switch and the other end of the cable would connect to your CCTV camera. If you have more than one camera you just connect them to the other ports on the switch.

If you are using a CCTV recorder, which I assume will have POE capability, the cameras would connect to that by Ethernet and the recorder would connect to the Ethernet Socket on the Wireless Access Point. This would do away with the need for a POE Switch.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
You’re a wee star. I will sleep soundly. Thanks 😊
0 Ratings