cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

FTTP ONT Switch

Go to solution

Hi,

I was hoping someone could clarify some information for me as my online searches have given me conflicting reports?

Due to have FTTP 900 mb/s installed without digital voice soon. My plan was to have a VPN installed on the router for security and for almost all traffic to go through there and the VPN. However, I would like to connect a PlayStation 5 via ethernet without a VPN to avoid any latency issues.  I was wondering if I can connect a managed/routing layer 2/3 network switch from the ONT in between my router with VPN and then connect my PS5 via ethernet to the switch without a VPN?

Is this possible as I have seen conflicting reports saying that a normal unmanaged network switch could do this and others that say it is not possible at all with managed or unmanaged switch?

I understand I could use a second router instead of a switch and have my VPN router connected to that via ethernet but I would rather like to avoid buying a second router as buying a switch that could do this would be much cheaper.

Any help would be appreciated, and if you could also confirm which switch type I would need (i.e layer 2/2+/3 managed/unmanaged) that would be great.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP ONT Switch

Go to solution

You can not do that because the ONT is in effect just a modem.

You would need to have any devices that want to connect to the Internet to go through a router other wise it would not be possible for the device to be allocated an IP address.

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Only 1 public dynamic IP address will be available from the BT connection, the first device being a router can then use NAT to issue private addresses to all your local devices or you could use static addresses or your own DHCP server but all these will use private addresses. 

If you use an switch between the ONT and WAN side of the Router there is only the one IP address available (plus the fixed one at the BT end) so what would the switch do? 

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. So I'd need multiple static ip's for this to work which isn't available from BT is that correct?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
There are multiple solutions, but yes multiple static ip addresses is one and BT don't provide those to domestic consumers. They may provide them on business broadband - but if si expect to pay much more.

Why do you want the PS5 directly on the router, one obvious solution might be to set the router to not vpn traffic from the PS5 if it allows that. The PS5 might need a private ip address to do so. Another solution might be to put the PS5 in a different private network range and not have that network range affected by the vpn - again this will depend on the router.
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

That's great, I'll look into those. Thanks for your help and advice 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@ColG911 - just a thought, but what router and VPN solution are you thinking about using? If you haven't already, it would be worth doing some homework to make sure your setup will be capable of reaching 900mbps. A lot of consumer solutions won't get anywhere near.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I've already started to look into this, but thanks for the heads up. Was planning to use mullvad as the VPN and still looking at router solutions atm, mainly Asus (ROG/TUF AX3000/5000 series) and possibly pfsense in the future. I'm just getting started with networking so wanted to make sure I was covered for future plans/upgrades.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

@ColG911 - I think that combo will limit a 900mbps FTTP link significantly. 

Sounds like you're doing the research though which is good 🙂

VPN aside, if you're looking at Asus kit then I'd always recommend something that can run Merlin. I can also recommend the SNB Forums as a good source of expertise if you haven't stumbled across them already e.g. here's a thread chatting about the TUF 5400.