cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP Upgrade - Phone Service and other questions

Go to solution

Good morning,

I have some queries regarding a potential upgrade to FTTP from FTTC. Apologies if they have been answered elsewhere.

If I upgrade to FTTP (Full Fibre 100 possibly) what happens to my phone service. Do I lose it and just make do with my mobile phone? Or does it get replaced with something else? If so, is this included in the price? Or is it a charged add on?

Can I also ask, if I upgrade to FTTC would I still be able to use my TENDA MW3 mesh system. Or would I not need it.

Are there any other significant differences between using FTTP and FTTC? For example, should all my devices like wireless security cameras work as before. I know you can't guarantee it, but just in theory.

Grateful for any advice

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP Upgrade - Phone Service and other questions

Go to solution

if you wanted to keep landline then you would be moved to digital voice

try the FAQ first as that may well answer most of questions

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@Elliboy 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Your phone will be moved to BT Digital Voice. You will need to use the BT Smart Hub 2 as the main router.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

The Tenda MW3 will still work in access point mode and wireless devices should continue to work as before.

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you both for your prompt response. Excellent service as always.

Still need a bit of clarification regarding costs. I don't think this is altogether clear on the BT website.

I understand Digital Voice is "free". However, to make calls I would need a BT call plan, or alternatively PAYG. Is that correct? And the Digital Voice BT call plan charges are the same for either digital (DV) or analogue.

If I opt for Digital Voice, at no extra charge, and then choose PAYG, can I receive calls as normal without charge? 

Again, apologies if I am missing this in the Q&As. I'm out of contract and my preference is to stay with BT. But I am not clear about the phone side of things.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

if you want to keep the ability to make and receive landline calls then you need DV  there is no charge for digital voice but if you go PAYG then you can receive calls free but pay for any outgoing calls or you purchase a calls package  at same cost whether DV or analogue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Call charges are exactly the same regardless of whether you use an analogue 'landline' or Digital Voice.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If you ‘upgrade’ from FTTC to FTTP ,initially , because you currently have a phone service, the phone service will be maintained,  delivered by DV ( so your phone connected to the router and not the master socket )  , the terms ( costs ) of the phone service the same as you currently have with FTTC, unless you negotiated differently as part of the FTTP sign up process.
Once on FTTP ,  if at some future point , you decide you don’t want or need a phone service with your FTTP , you could change to a standalone FTTP broadband service , and by losing the telephony element, it could bring a small cost saving.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your help.

0 Ratings