cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: Fibre to Homehub 2 installation question.

Hi, so I can have the ONT in the next room plugged into a power socket and have a Cat 5 (RJ45 Connector) from there to my Home Hub 2 which remains connected to everything was normal.  My Home Hub 2 has an RJ11 Broadband input, do I cannect to there still or one of the other ports?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-the-ports-on-your-bt-hub

Is PORT 1 RJ45 connection?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

Having watched the video, is the case that the fibre links to this 'ONT', which plugs into a power socket and connects to my Home Hub 2 with an Ethernet Cable with RJ45 at both ends?

Yes

Can this cable be 5-6m long?

Yes (up to 100m)

Does the phone still link to the Hub?

Your phone will plug into a socket on the back of the Hub (assuming you're moving to Digital Voice).

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

Hi, so I can have the ONT in the next room plugged into a power socket and have a Cat 5 (RJ45 Connector) from there to my Home Hub 2 which remains connected to everything was normal.

Yes

My Home Hub 2 has an RJ11 Broadband input, do I cannect to there still or one of the other ports?

One of the other ports (specifcally LAN 4)

Message 14 of 29

I'd refer you back to my reply in message 3.

The ONT is effectively an optical modem.  Full fibre won't work without it.  It requires power and so must be close to a power point.  Fibre optic cable cannot cope with tight bends.  Those two factors may limit where they can put it.

The ONT connects to your router via an ethernet cat 5e cable with RJ45 plugs.  It plugs into LAN port 4 on the Smart Hub 2, which is configured to act as a port specifically for that connection.  RJ11 cables are no longer involved.  The spec. for ethernet is that it should be able to travel up to 100m between devices, so potentially you could have 100m between the ONT and your router.

Your phone, (or your extensions),  plugs into a socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2 using a standard phone plug, (a BT 431A plug).

Message 15 of 29

So LAN port 4 is number 4 of the yellow ones (right) here?  And I just leave the broadband input (grey - left) empty?  Phone stays plugged into green input yes?  How long is the Cat 5e RJ45 cable that comes with the ONT?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-the-ports-on-your-bt-hub

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

Yes

Message 17 of 29

One last question, will it still work with a Cat 6a cable?  E.g. this: Digoloan Ethernet Cable 10m, Cat 6/Cat6a High Speed PoE Internet Lan Cable, Gigabit 500MHz

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

Yes, but please delete the link as it breaches forum rules.

Message 19 of 29

The ethernet cable supplied is just shy of 2m.   I've not had chance to check the power lead but people on here have suggested anywhere between 0.5 and 1.5m.  Cat 5e, 6, 6A, 7 and 8 will all work fine but performance-wise 7 and 8 are way over the top.  A bit like buying a Ferrari just to do the weekly shop.

I seem to recall you saying you wanted the ONT at the top of the wall.  Just so you are aware, there are lights on the box so it may be a bit obvious at the top of a wall.

Edit: And while I think about it, the last 6A I encountered was considerably thicker than 5e and 6.  About the diameter of 13A mains flex, in fact.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

If it put it down low though, the incoming fibre from pole would also have to come in low and block garden path though.

I realise that, even Cat 6a is over the top but I thought I may as well future proof a bit and it's the same price anyway.  Will the thickness actually pose a problem wrt plugging in though, I should be okay routing it.

0 Ratings