cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: Fibre to Homehub 2 installation question.

If you put what ‘down low’ ? , if you are served overhead from a pole the optical dropwire/cable attaches at the same height as the existing copper dropwire ( so not in the way of the footpath ) and if being introduced into the building at a ground floor level , it runs down the wall to where the CSP is fitted at ground level , from the CSP an internal cable then runs to the location of the ONT ( as described in detail on the posted video ) so what exactly are you intended to add ‘down low’  after the  Openreach ONT , as nothing before the ONT should be interfered with by you .

Apparently you have already ordered FTTP before and didn’t allow the installation to proceed presumably because you couldn’t accept the installer suggested location of the ONT , and the installer refused ( presumably due to practical considerations or time constraints ) to install where you insisted it be fitted , so you refused the install, so this all seems a little pointless unless you are willing to  compromise on the ONT location , as the next installer may well refuse to consider the location you want for the ONT in the same way the previous installer did

……you could of course , provide your own Ethernet connection from where the installer is prepared to locate the ONT to where your router is sited, as stated you can provide your own Ethernet connection of upto 100metres without any problem , all you do then is plug on end on the Ethernet cable you provided into the LAN socket on the ONT and the other end into the WAN socket of the SH2 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

"If it put it down low though, the incoming fibre from pole would also have to come in low and block garden path though."

There's nothing to stop the incoming fibre from the pole being attached high up the wall and then running down the outside of the wall before entering the house. In fact that's a pretty standard way of doing things.
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

@BMD10 wrote:

If it put it down low though, the incoming fibre from pole would also have to come in low and block garden path though.

Is this a wind up?

Message 24 of 29

Cat 6A should plug in just as easily as 6.  The main difference is the cable is thicker and so more difficult to fit round corners etc.  For future proofing, I think I would recommend Cat 6 myself, today.

The main reason for the extra thickness is that 6A is shielded cable rated to 10Gb/s.  The main reason for using it would be if you needed the shielding because you were running the cable through a very electrically noisy environment, like running it close to heavy duty motors, transformers etc.  That shouldn’t really be a problem in a domestic property.

While the official rating for Cat 6 is 1Gb/s at up to 100m, unofficially Cat 6 is regarded as being able to cope with 10Gb/s at up to 55m.  2.5Gb/s interfaces are just starting to appear on equipment so that may become the norm over the next ten years.  Again, that is way over the top for a domestic installation, in my opinion, but Cat 6 should be able cope easily with it at lengths below 50m.

Keep in mind, the cable does not determine the speed.  That is set by the network cards at either end.  They negotiate for the best speed they can support without too many errors.  An inadquate/faulty cable may reduced the speed by creating more errors but, beyond that, it does not determine the speed.

Message 25 of 29

Sorry, I wasn't aware it could bend even that much.

Seen as Cat 8 cable cost the same as Cat 5 and 6, I guess I may as well get that right?

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

Mmmm... Depends on the quality of the cable.  There's a lot of cheap stuff out there that doesn't really justify the grade.  For a start, you want pure copper, which is expensive today.  I'd avoid CCA & CCS, (Copper Clad Aluminium and Steel).

As I said, Cat 8 is for data centres and can operate up to 40 Gb/s.  (Possibly even faster today.  I've been retired five years, so I may be a little out of touch).  I don't think you'll ever achieve 40Gb/s with domestic grade equipment in my life time though.  Also, the last time I checked it was only rated for 30m.  (That is, short cable runs in data centres, which handle a hell of a lot more traffic than the average home).

As far as bend goes, copper is generally taken to be able to cope with a radius of x4 it's diameter.  Fibre optic cable, (i.e. glass fibre), needs a much bigger bend radius than that, but fibre optic is what delivers the "fibre" to the house in FTTP.  That's more to do with loss of signal if you bend it too tightly, not breakage.  It's not something you'll be involved with installing.

I would have to say good quality, pure copper, Cat 6 is my choice but in the end it's up to you.  As I said, you can buy a Ferrari just for the weekly shop if you have the money and inclination.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

@licquoricewrote:

Is this a wind up?

Well given this is message 27 when @WSH provided the answer in message 3...

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Difficult to say but I don't mind if I've got nothing better to do.  If I have, someone else will have to answer it.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

I installed the Cat 5 only 10-15 years ago and never thought I'd see that max'd out either.🤔

0 Ratings