cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

First month of a Fibre 100, got boosted to 500 but I barely reach 80mbps

Go to solution

Good evening,

As per title, I moved into a new built property and the coverage was for the fibre service. I decided to go for the Fibre 100 as it assured up to 150Mbps with a guaranteed 100Mbps.

I also got the free boost for the first month, up to 500Mbps.

The first week I noticed the speed fluctuating between 300 and 500 Mbps but I didn't give it much thought as I've always been told that the first 10 days the speed might have some fluctuation for reasons that I'm not privy to.

However, since a couple of days I'm noticing that my connection speed is barely reaching 80mbps.

I've reached out to the support and their test tells them that the hub reach 500Mbps down and 60Mbps up so, for them it's all good. I did a speed test at a link provided by the support and this is the result:

Crius_0-1691441006939.png

Now, I'm connected via ethernet cable through a powerline that is, again, connected via ethernet to the Hub.

I tried already the basics (restart  Hub, Powerline and PC) but nothing change. The speed is consistently hovering around 80Mbps.

This is the powerline, never had issue with it prior: TP-Link AV1000 

I'll try tomorrow to connect the PC directly to the router to try and understand if something happened with the powerline. If anyone have any relevant experience to share, please do.

I wanted to create a topic to be able to troubleshoot this with the help of others as well.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: First month of a Fibre 100, got boosted to 500 but I barely reach 80mbps

Go to solution

From other posts it was the powerline adapters that caused the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I just tested replicating the setup I had at my previous house which was:

Internet Provider Router/Modem -> Router TP-Link Archer AX1800 -> Powerline -> Laptop

The provider router was simply reduced to modem (no Wi-Fi, only the Archer connected via ethernet) and I could get full speed without much issues, albeit it was a regular broadband (non-fibre).

Doing the same thing here I even lost more download bandwidth as it barely reach 50Mbps.

The really weird thing is that even if I don't use the ethernet connection, physically detaching the cable from my powerline to the laptop, and connect to the Hub2, I still get that limited speed of 80Mbps.

I had to completely detach the Archer/Powerline from the Hub2, even if nobody was connected to the powerline, to get back to around 300Mbps connected to the Hub2 directly in Wireless (still not 500Mbps but it's wireless, I guess I have to expect degradation across different floors).

Crius_0-1691481547596.png

Connecting directly via ethernet to the router, confirm that we are getting the full speed as expected:

Crius_0-1691481290158.png

I really don't understand why the Hub2 behaves like that.

Is there ever some member of staff that respond here? I'm used to Plusnet in which they usually responded in the forums as well.

This is really inconvenient as the Hub2 doesn't even have an option to manage a QoS so that I can be sure that some device don't clog the connections for others. I'll have to install/set up individual limiters for each device and eventually go altering them again as need instead of having everything in a single place.

And I don't even want to think as to why I have to download a mobile app to manage the device access.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Powerline adapters are only as good as your electrical wiring and whatever interference is present. You are comparing apples with oranges by comparing with your previous house.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I tried connecting the Archer to the Hub2 directly and then my laptop. All in ethernet, just to isolate the issue.

Crius_0-1691481910794.png

Seems like you are right in the problem either being the electrical or the powerline itself.

The house is a new build, I was expecting that electrical to be properly set up to be honest. Is that any tool I can use to check if the issue might be the electrical? The previous house was a terrible rented property with damp and cable that had been even eaten by rats at some point and "fixed" by the landlord, I doubt it could have been in better condition but if there is a way to test this, I'd gladly do it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Just to add more tests:

Connected via ethernet to the Archer (which is connected via ethernet to the Hub2)

Crius_0-1691482627374.png

Same but in Wireless

Crius_2-1691482969361.png

So, I assume that as the signal strength and download capacity is more or less the same, I can connect via wireless but I'll prefer being able to be connected via ethernet and get the full capacity, especially as when the boost will ends, I'll probably go back to under 100Mbps.

If someone can suggest ways to check if the issue is the powerline itself or the electrical, I would appreciate it.

Editing to not create a spam of messages all from me and keep upping the topic.

Seems that the issue is the powerline indeed. While not the same model and not an official source, powerlines tend to have kind of deceptive advertising as stated here:

Even with a 1300/2000 adapter. It’s unusual to go past 200/300. Except on a short run on the same phase.

I would recommend the TP Link AV1300 or AV2000. As they use MIMO for the connection. Not the AV1000 as it doesn’t have MIMO.

Just to check. You don’t have either connected to a surge protector. Right? That really screws with them.

TP Link also has a WiFi powerline model. Which adds an Access Point. As there are a few. It should look like the models I listed. Plus be a Powerline model. Not a stand-alone extender.

They also have the Deco line. Which is mesh WiFi. They offer this with and without Powerline back haul.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

For some reason, I have also used TP-Link AV1000 PLC, with a stable 500-710 Mbps line between them, with no problem, when one is in the utility cupboard, and the second in the Living Room, in fact, on the same phase...

If I moved the Living Room ones to Bedroom, which happens to be on another electrical circuit (and potentially on another phase), I was on barely 60 Mbps...

PLC arent nothing more than a limited solution, due many many troubles potentially. It's most likely better to use BT Wifi Disc, and connect your PC into it, as source of network, but do not expect more than 200-250 Mbps anways.#

WiFi will be always lower than cable, obviously, plus my experience was that BT SH2 wasn't capable of dealing with my FF900 on WiFi. But You don't need BT SH2 to anything other than to provide DV phone (if You have a phone line though) . Archer could easily do duirect to ONT, if you don't have phone line.

0 Ratings