cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre 500 not doing what it should do

Hi

We had Full Fibre 500 installed yesterday, the engineer fitted the box in our bedroom, however we moved this to the middle of our 3 bed bungalow to get an even wifi, however the speed doesnt appear great.

First is fast.com the best speed test as this is what we use?

The bedroom at one point picked up speeds of about 12mb then later 170mb, very up and down, I was watching Sky in the bedroom but this kept stopping .

Any ideas what I should do?

the other rooms get around 270mb, but then this can suddenly drop when we do the speed test to around 70mb in the front room, again very up and down.

I really thought having the Full fibre was the anwser to our problems as especially in the evenings and weekends the speeds would drop so low that everything lagged, BT said Full Fibre is a dedicated line just for us so this should not happen.

Any advice very much appreicated?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre 500 not doing what it should do

'We had Full Fibre 500 installed yesterday, the engineer fitted the box in our bedroom, however we moved this to the middle of our 3 bed bungalow to get an even wifi, however the speed doesnt appear great.'

what box did you move?  i assume it was the SH2 (router) and did you connect it to the ONT(small white openreach box) with a longer ethernet cable 5E or above?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@Sand01 

You do not have a dedicated line.

Speed will vary as you are sharing a 2.5Gb fibre connection with 31 other users, so you will only get the full speed if less customers are using their connection.

You are also unlikely to get anything like the full speed over wireless, on a single device.

It was never intended that people get full speed on all devices, especially on a wireless connection. The intention is to allow that bandwidth to be shared among family members and multiple devices, without each user noticing any slowdown.

Here is a quote from old post by @SeanD  on 18/06/2021

"I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre , take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@imjolly
Yes I moved the router and connected a longer ethernet cable (think it may be either a 5E or 6), connected onto the openreach box they installed.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

@ Keith_Beddoe

Thank you for your reply, interesting as they sold it to me as if the line is dedicated to me.

I understand now and it makes sense, I just wish that is how they explained it in the first place.

The main reason we did get this was due to the Sky TV keep stopping & stuttering in the evenings or weekends saying it had no internet connection even though it did,  do you know of any work around? (I even got all new Sky equipment as put it down to that originally)

Thank you for all advice & help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Sand01 

if you have SKY Q then ensure that your SH2 is not using channel 36 for 5ghz as that channel is used by SKY Q and will cause problems.  try going into hub wifi and changing 5ghz to manual and select say channel 44 or 48

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@imjolly
Thanks for your reply, I will have a dabble with what you have said, I dont know how to change settings but will have a look and see what channel the router is set to.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@Sand01 

Only BT Business customers can get a dedicated fibre connection, at a considerable cost.

As for your devices, those that have an Ethernet connection are best wired directly to the home hub using Ethernet cables.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@imjollywrote:

if you have SKY Q then ensure that your SH2 is not using channel 36 for 5ghz as that channel is used by SKY Q and will cause problems.  try going into hub wifi and changing 5ghz to manual and select say channel 44 or 48

Seen this advice before and I'm not convinced it helps. The SH2 broadcasts at 80MHz channel width which will occupy all channels between 36-48, irrespective of the channel selected in the Hub Manager. Same as the Sky Q (although I think you can reduce the channel width in the PVR maintenance menu).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

@bobpullenwrote:

@imjollywrote:

Seen this advice before and I'm not convinced it helps. The SH2 broadcasts at 80MHz channel width which will occupy all channels between 36-48, irrespective of the channel selected in the Hub Manager. Same as the Sky Q (although I think you can reduce the channel width in the PVR maintenance menu).

I'm not convinced either, it could be more due to Sky Q using so much bandwith for the way it works

0 Ratings