cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Full Fibre - which hub?

Go to solution

Hi I currently have Fibre 2 Complete with a smart hub 2. I am upgrading to Full fibre 900 and have been told I will need a new hub as it wont work with my current smart hub 2 ? The new hub will be sent prior to installation and I'm told that I will no longer be able to use my complete discs as they won't be compatible? Why would I need a new hub as I can only see that the Smart hub 2 is the latest one and if they do supply a new one would the discs then work.  Can anyone recommend a WiFi extender that will work with Full fibre 900 (house is 3 storey) and whatever hub they supply. Had a nightmare upgrading as a system glitch meant my order was lost and so really hoping install goes to plan as I cannot afford to lose.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Full Fibre - which hub?

Go to solution

The Smart Hub 2 is the latest hub from BT and it does work with the black complete WiFi discs from the Halo 3 packages

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks, this is what I thought and so not sure why they would need to send a new one and tell me that complete discs would no longer be compatible. Very close to cancelling the upgrade as worried I will be paying for fast speeds that will make no difference without extenders that work. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

@ItsJustMe 

Bear in mind, you may not see any increase in wireless speed, only devices that are hard wired to the BT Home Hub. Its only the speed incoming to the home hub that will increase.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Yes and that's my concern as nothing will be directly connected to the hub and so will need some decent extenders, otherwise I may as well stick to my fibre 2 package of 50mb rather than the more expensive full fibre package. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

Do you have a Halo package with the complete WiFi?

The discs should get over 50mb through them it's just if you were going to full fibre 900 for example you wouldn't get the full speed of that via WiFi 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

@ItsJustMe 

I would suggest keeping what you have, as there are numerous posts on this forum where people have upgraded to 900Mbs, and wondered why their wireless speed has not improved. In essence, they have wasted their money.

Unless you have a lot of heavy users in the house, all hard wired to the BT Smart  Hub, its not going to be worth it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

You could upgrade to full fibre but not have the 900mbps package,  You could likely get the 150mbps package for around the same price as what you pay for your 50mbps

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

@ItsJustMe 

The earlier SH2s didn't have ethernet port 4 marked as WAN which is the port into which the ethernet cable goes to connect to the ONT which perhaps why you're being told you need a new SH2.

There was a firmware update sometime ago where the option to set/unset port 4 was included but it's probably considered simpler from BT's point of view just to issue a new one.

Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

@ItsJustMe 

I'm getting 240 Mb/s right now on a Macbook Pro connected over WiFi to a BT black disc which is about 3m away from me, and a further 10m away from the Hub - so you can get significantly faster than your existing 50 Mb/s internet connection.