cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Full fibre Smart Hub2 and Deco M4 best configuration - advice please?

Go to solution

Hi there

Since having FTTP installed, I have not been using the Smart Hub but used my Deco M4 mesh wifi router to act as the router for the home.  I have tried to put the BT SH2 behind (ie home side) the M4 to allow me to run BT's digital voice service, but I cannot get it to work.  It seems that BT insist that the SH2 is the home router and attached directly to the Fibre hub ethernet port. (so I have been without a home phone for a while!).

I would prefer to use the Deco as my DHCP, NAT, DNS etc device, as well as the mesh wifi, as it seems to have a more stable set up (in the past my BT SHs have always seemed to throttle, drop, and generally not be very stable).  In reality, I only want to use the BT SH2 for the digital voice service, and pass as much as possible to the Deco M4 to handle.

I know I cannot set up SH2 in bridge mode, so what is the BEST way to configure a) the SH2 and b) the DECO M4 to handle the routing function?

(I will disable wifi on the SH2, and ensure that it has been set to a (permanent) different wireless channel to that on the Deco).

Thanks for any and all advice!

Andy

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Full fibre Smart Hub2 and Deco M4 best configuration - advice please?

Go to solution

Unless you are concerned about double NAT issues just go ont to SH2 to Deco

Otherwise see here  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks @stevebrass - followed the link, read the thread, and configured as explained there to avoid the double NAT....

All seems to work fine!

Thanks for a fast and great answer

Andy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

As @stevebrass mentioned you can connect M9 to the Smart Hub, into port 1. The Smart Hub straight into the white box from WAN port. 

I then turned off

WIFI

DCHP

Firewall

I am now getting 6x faster speeds than when I was not using SH2 and connecting via PPPoE

as mentioned here, thanks Steve

0 Ratings