cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Full fibre connection help

Hi guys

I'm on full fibre now and was on fttc before.  I have the ont box installed in living room with sh2, they plug ont box into red lan port and not broadband socket on sh2. 

Before I was in fttc master socket living room and had a hg612 modem and xr500 upstairs with little hard wired extension. 

Could I use my old master socket downstairs swap faceplate over to ethernet,  ethernet from sh2 to that socket and use my little extension and on the other end install a ethernet socket to plug my xr500 upstairs. 

I would like to keep using my xr500 upstairs.

If that makes as sense at all. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Full fibre connection help

Yes as long as the cable is 8 wires but it won't be Cat5E standard if it is only CW1308 cable. You will need to reconfigure the xr500 though.

Message 3 of 7

My little extension I had before was cw1308 from master in living room to upstairs and that was where I had my hg612 and xr500.

Now I'm on full fibre I have little ont white box above my master socket in living room and sh2 for DV.  If I swapped over the old master faceplate to ethernet could I plug my sh2 into it, use the old cw1308 extension only about 8 metres and fit ethernet socket on end to plug my xr500 in 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

I've just answered that!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The BT Openreach engineer said it wouldn't work as cw1308 is only 2 pair twisted 4 core. 

I've tried home plugs in port 1 of sh2 downstairs and  homeplug upstairs so plug my ps5 or xr500 into it and nothing.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Did you actually read my reply?

CW1308 is a standard, it comes in many different quantities of pairs.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks. 

Does the ont go into wan port 4 on the sh2 that's how he done mine. Then I've plugged my home plugs into yellow port one but they not detecting Ethernet.

0 Ratings