cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Full fibre install

Thank you.   I did say I wanted the router in the next room, less than 3m away,  but he said he couldn't do it as he'd have to drill holes thru walls which they weren't allowed to do!!!   Yes I shall let them place it in the hall and then just run the cable myself.  Thank you 😊 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Yes I showed the engineer where I had run the cable (phone cable prev) , and I have the same trunking thru from the hall to the living room where the desktop is.  Easy enough to do myself but until I posted on this forum, I didn't know you were allowed to move the router away from the ONT.   This forum, or it's members, have been really helpful.  Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

I've copy and pasted this from BT, is this not the case?     "The Hub and the Openreach fibre modem need to be next to each other, and both need a power socket"

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

They need to be next to each other using the ethernet cable supplied in the SH2 box.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

But other users have said I am able to move it away from the ONT, and use a long ethernet cable?   Is this not right?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

They need to be next to each other IF using the ethernet cable supplied in the SH2 box.

Openreach do not supply longer cables, so in a standard install using the supplied cables, they can only be next to each due to the length of the supplied cable. Nothing stopping you providing a longer one.

Message 17 of 22

Thank you replying. I'm an oldie so wasnt aware of my options prior to asking on here.  I shall get a long ethernet cable and if they won't use it,  I'll move the router myself.  Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

M J Quinn (and others) are contractors and get paid per job, all they want to do is get in and get out as quickly as possible to earn more money. Don't expect them to spend time on internal work other than fitting the ONT in the easiest place for them and attatching the hub.

An Openreach engineer is not time limited in the same way and will go the "extra mile" in most cases.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

I just made sure all internals didn't need any extra effort from Openreach/contractor. Ducting in place already, tossed the coin on the day to which room but already had a hole through internal wall with a cat6 in with spare room for a cable connector. All whoever had to do was unclip the trunking to the location.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

At what point does the length of the cat5 between router and ont impact the fibre signal strength?
0 Ratings