cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Full fibre installation and 2 recordable boxes

Go to solution

I am due to move from old copper bt line to full fibre and am awaiting Smart Hub 2. I currently have 2 recordable bt TV boxes both with aerial connection . The first box is connected to my current hub via ethernet cable with the hub linked to a BT mini connector via separate ethernet cable. The second box is connected to a mini connector in separate room via ethernet cable. My question is will this arrangement still work when I am moved on to full fibre connection with the new Smart Hub 2 ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Full fibre installation and 2 recordable boxes

Go to solution

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks - weight off my mind so just need to swap the cables from old hub to new along with the cable connector to the new modem and nothing needed re second box current arrangement?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, @Fru2 You'll just need to swap the ethernet cables from the back of your current Hub to the new one ensuring that you don't connect anything to port number 4 as that will be used to connect the openreach ONT to the Hub.

Cheers
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Neil. Hub has now turned up but no red ended ethernet cable in the box. BT say an ordinary ethernet cable will be ok to use in the wan slot as my speed via Halo 2 is more than sufficient to not need a red ended cable. I'm not sure if that is correct and reluctant to let the full fibre installation go ahead if I am going to have difficulty.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

There is absolutely no difference in the red ethernet cable and any other Cat5e Ethernet cable. It is only red to simplify connection. You will have no problems using a different lead.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

That's great.thanks again.

0 Ratings