cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Geolocation Issues

Hi

I live in Glasgow and since moving to BT last September (I had a BT Smart Hub II and fibre 2 connection installed) I've had trouble with streaming services via a PC and which think I'm outside the UK. For example, My5, BBC Sport live website. Is there anything simple and permanent I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Louise

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Geolocation Issues

And no other devices are exhibiting the same issue?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Other devices? My PC is connected by ethernet cable to the Smart Hub 2 so it must be something to do with the latter?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I mean like do you have mobile devices that when trying to watch these apps/channels....they also again error out because of your location, or is it just the PC?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

No, no I don't use any mobile devices for streaming. Just the PC.  When I check my IP location address it jumps around all over the place? I'm running Windows 10 by the way. But I didn't have this problem before I moved home (from up the road) and was on Virgin Media fibre. Is there a setting on the Smart Hub?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Do you have an VPN software on your PC?

These will change your external IP and indeed locate you away from your property. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I'm not running a VPN. The IP locator mostly says I'm in England, sometimes in Scotland but the streaming services say I'm not in the UK? Sometimes it the IP locator says I'm in Northern Ireland...
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Louise515_0-1722519869046.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I've looked at 4 ip checkers: two say I'm in England (a city called thornfalcon) and two say I'm in Scotland.  I'm in Edinburgh and have been for 40 years.  I use one streaming service:  arte.tv which is a joint French and German project.

Message 10 of 10

It's looking like my issues _may_ be browser dependent. I used Chrome to access My5 on-demand progs and it actually worked ok. Switched to edge and it does not - even though the location is on and set ok. It's a mystery as it's a problem that comes and goes. Mystery. I wonder if it's something to do with my IPv4 saying I'm in Northern Ireland?
0 Ratings