cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

Gfast modem.

Go to solution

Hi guys. I have Gfast and have purchased an Asus dsl ac88u. The modem router is setup and working but after 3 weeks of usage I am having WiFi dropouts. Disconnecting from ps5 randomly. I've read that users on here aren't impressed with the router and firmwares aren't really upto date. So my question is - can i use a draytek modem and run a different router from it or will the openreach modem be OK with a router?  This is all new to me and want to get the best possible solution. Apologise if this is in the wrong place. My 1st post and any advice will be appreciated. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: Gfast modem.

Go to solution

I'm one of those users who a few years back had a DSL-AC88u for about 3 days.  xDSL connection speeds were no better than previously, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the actual 5GHz WiFi speeds above about 100Mbps, no matter what the sync rate was.  At that time a search online showed that it seemed to be a common problem with the xDSL version of the router.

*I'd bought mine from Curry's and they even tested the WiFi in-store and had exactly the same problem!

Sorry but as far as I'm aware there was at one time at least either a component or configuration problem with that particular router.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

Openreach modems aren't G.Fast capable, your options are to either use the supplied BT Smart Hub2 standalone,  a Draytek 166 modem and your choice of router or Zyxel  XMG 3927 standalone or in bridge mode with your choice of router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps this is why Asus don't seem to be to interested in this product. 

I am able to return the router. The search continues. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

Thanks mate. 👍🏻 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

G.Fast is a very niche market and is no longer being rolled out, hence very limited options.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

Fttp build isn't taking place in my area for a while. I have 4 kids in the house so you can imagine why I need the best I can get lol. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

If you are in a G.Fast area, you should have been supplied with a G.Fast modem when you were set up.  Using the WAN port on the DSL-AC88u and with a couple of simple tweaks in the WAN menu you should be able to use your new router with the supplied BT modem.  I suspect that if you do this you are still going to have issues with the DSL-AC88u and its WiFi.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

@Crimliar The op would have been supplied with a Smart Hub2 which is a G.Fast capable modem/ router.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

Yes this is correct. Sorry I should've stated that. It seems to me like G fast is a double edged sword. 

I see you can pick up the zylex secondhand pretty cheap. Seeing mixed reviews on both the zylex and draytek tbh. But looking at it I don't have a lot of options as you've pointed out. 

Do you guys have any experience with either of the above? 

0 Ratings