Message 11 of 32

Re: Gfast modem.

Go to solution

Afraid not. Have a look over on Kitz, https://forum.kitz.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

I had a Draytek Vigor 130 for about 6 years until it started to die.  Replaced with a Vigor 166 from the BT.shop about a year ago as even being a Vodafone customer at the time it was significantly cheaper than anywhere else.  On VDSL2 the Vigor166 k (v2 or v3 I've sold it now) was pretty reliable.  Has to be noted that having no landline phone and using an RJ11 to Phone plug cable direct to the master socket did improve speeds!

If you do try the Vigor modem make sure you get the UK (k) version!  *I only sold mine on eBay last Saturday!!!

I think some time in the past BT used to supply the Huawei MT992 G.Fast modem - I assume this was before the SH2!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

Hi guys. 

Have you set up the Draytek before to work as a modem with a router of your choice. I can get the draytek connected , however I cannot get Internet access.  This may be a silly question but can I use any router to connect to the draytek. I am on gfast 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

Yes, if the Draytek is in modem mode you can use any router.

You need to set the vlan id to 101 on the Draytek and the PPPoE credentials to username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT on the router.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

If the Draytek modem is the UK model, and new, then it'll come in modem mode and preset for OpenReach, so all you'd need to change are the UN & Pass as has been previously mentioned.  If you want to be able to see the line stats, you'll need a little more work, but the important thing is to get it up and running first!

*Little tip:  If you take an ISP router such as the SH2 and run a cable from the router WAN to one of the inputs on the modem it'll just work - that way at least you know the hardware is good.

Which router are you trying to use!

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

Thank you both. 

I have an asus rt-ax82u that I am trying to use as a router. I can't get the wan to sync with the draytek. 

I have put the details also into the asus , selected pppoe etc. 

There are 4 lights on top of the draytek. Dsl light is solid. I connect the lan to the wan and the  pt1 light does t light up , if I take the same cable plugged into pt1 and connect it to the laptop the light start blinking , obviously there's a connection. Plug the lan back into the wan and it goes dead. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

Thanks mate. I've just replied below. Any guidance would be great help. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

So it's probably best that you add in some settings so you can see into the modem configs & reports.

On WAN> Internet connection:  WAN IP

wan IP.png

If you add in those settings you can get into the modem menus by going to 192.168.2.1 and get a better idea what's going on!

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

......as long as you configure your laptop manually to the same subnet.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

The modem and the router each need their own subnet.  So commonly that is 192.168.1.0/24 for the router, but the default on modern Asus routers is 192.168.50.0/24.  And then the modem will manage a 192.168.2.0/24 range.  Setting up the WAN IP this way creates a secondary or back channel to the modem.  Some routers do this completely automatically, others (inc Asus) don't!  Anything connected to the router can use DHCP to get its own settings automatically while still having access to the modem's subnet.

*And another little tip:  On the router "Network Map" page, if you click on the globe next where it says "internet status" it'll open up a subpage where you can see some of your WAN details/status!

0 Ratings