cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Google/Nest mini AP isolation

Brief overview: 900mbps working fine. Smart hub 2. 

Full Google smart home, several speakers/displays all working fine.

Google mini disconnected itself from the "home". When I tried to re-connect it failed. I've reset the mini and BT router several times. Mini also reset to factory.

When I try to add the mini back onto the home system I recieve this error.Screenshot_20240820_194257_Home.jpg

Spoke to BT support, they said they have never heard of this before....

I'm reasonably technical, have a decent understanding of tech but this is beyond me. I've accessed the router and can't find anything to do with AP Isolation 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Google/Nest mini AP isolation

I suspect your phone is attempting to connect to the Nest Mini in ad-hoc mode and because the Smart Hub 2 uses the same SSID for both bands, your phone might be connecting to the hub using the 5Ghz  band thus precluding it connecting to the Mini on the 2.4Ghz band (or vice versa).

Temporarily switch off the 5Ghz wifi on the hub to force all devices to use the 2,4Ghz band and then reinstate it once everything working.

Message 3 of 6

First, thank you very much for the speedy reply! In my haste to post the original message I should have stated I did try this however I rushed it as I'm not very patient. I'll give it another go tomorrow.and let you know the result. Thank you 😄

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I have the same problem. My Google Home App stopped seeing my Nets Mini 2. I tried a factory reset and get the same problem. Have tried switching off the channels as mentioned and it still will not work, same problem everytime.

I cannot find how to disable AP isoltaion on the Hub. However I have found enebale UnP which is recommeneded by Google.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I don't believe that AP isolation is enabled on the hub - it causes too many issues for too many people and their devices for it to be enabled by default!

If you use anykind of WiFi Analyser on a mobile device, if the Mini is not working you'll see a local network called "Livingroom speaker 0" or something similar.  If you can see that then the Mini is not connected to any router on any band.  It's not uncommon!  Your best bet is to find the compatibility setting on the SH2 and see if you can make the WiFi more compatible.

My own mini has been behaving itself for quite a while now, but it's had its moments, flooding the third-party router logs with requests to connect, but never accepting the connections it's offered.  Solution, I don't have a reliable one, other than what has been previously mentioned.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Problem fixed by Google.

1. Switch off mobile data in your phone. But keep WiFi on. So that the device only uses WiFi.

2. Uninstall Google Home and reinstall the latest version.

3. If you can't see your Nest device, factory reset and then follow set-up instructions.