cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Great wired speeds - dreadful wifi speed

I recently had Fibre Halo 3 put in and can achieve speeds of 900mb+ via a wired connection, but the wifi is relatively slow - I get about 150mbps in the same room as the hub, but in some rooms upstairs it drops to 20mbps - it's not a massive house with thick stone walls either, but not feasible for everything to be a wired connection. I've had engineers out twice who insist I should be getting 400-500 mbps on wifi but can't sort the issues. Even on my old 56mb package, I got better speeds upstairs than I do now. Quite often, the upload speed is higher than the download speed, something that the engineers both said shouldn't happen. And using the BT app, it always says that the wifi signal is poor even when stood right next to the hub!

BT's current stance is that they are providing the service the sold me by getting 900+mbps to the hub, are above the speed guarantee, that the wifi signal within the property is not their problem and there are no guarantees on the wifi speeds. Of course, they've suggested complete wifi discs but want an extra £38 per month for the privilege.  

I'm now considering changing my hub to see if that is the problem, but also have BT TV and have read that it might not be compatible with other hubs. I'm looking at TP-Link AX5400, but not sure if it will work or not

Anyone got any ideas as to what to do / try next?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Great wired speeds - dreadful wifi speed

You could try disabling WiFi on your SH2 and using a separate Access point for WiFi, I think some on here have recommended TP Link - try searching for details, iirc they do a WiFi 6 version too.

if you have an old router, such as a BT Hub 6, you could repurpose that for testing to see what performance you can get by using a separate WiFi provision rather than the SH2

Message 3 of 5

@sneaks 

You could be suffering from interference from neighbours' WiFi - that was my problem.

I have an an app on my Android phone called "WiFi Analyzer", (other apps are available), that graphically shows the WiFi Access points operating locally to you and their relative signal strengths.

Is your hub WiFi on fixed channels, or set to "Smart"? Fixed on the clearest channel: 1, 6 or 11 at 2.4GHz might be better - "Smart" isn't always smart!

Message 4 of 5

Thanks @Paul608085 , I'll give the wifi analyzer a try and see if there's any interference. I have fixed my wifi on channel 11... The first engineer did that, but the latest one reverted to the Smart channel. I've also got a different wifi extender today and that seems to have improved it slightly upstairs, so will see how I get on over the next few days.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks @countrypaul - I think I've got another hub somewhere so will dig it out and see if there is any difference. I've also got a different wifi extender today and that seems to have improved things slightly. 

Hopefully I can get sorted then I don't have any conflict with the BTTV service either.

0 Ratings