cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Halo 3 - can I force disc to connect to router on 2.4Ghz band

Go to solution

I've noticed recently that my old Sky+Hd box loses connection to my Wifi - once per day, on average.

Looking closer, I've realised that the Sky box is connecting to the router, upstairs in the study - not to the much closer wifi extender disc. It looks as though this is probably because the Sky box, being old only uses 2.4Ghz whereas the disk is connected to the router on the 5Ghz band, so presumably is only broadcasting on 5Ghz.

I've tried to force the disk to use the 2.4Ghz band by turning off the 5Ghz band on the router and rebooting the disc - but it stubbornly insists on using the 2.4Ghz band

Does anyone know of a way of getting the Sky box to connect via the disc rather than direct to the router?

Cheers

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Halo 3 - can I force disc to connect to router on 2.4Ghz band

Go to solution

How the disc connects to the router is irrelevant, the disc  transmits on both bands regardless. If you turn off the 2.4Ghz on the router the Sky box should connect to the disc at 2.4Ghz.

Such are the problems with mesh systems with a common SSID, you can't select the source which is why I prefer discrete waps with their own SSIDs so that devices can be steered toward the required signal.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Halo 3 - can I force disc to connect to router on 2.4Ghz band

Go to solution
Ah, yes, it's obvious once you stop and think about it.
Thanks licquorice - Sky box now connected via the disk and hasn't dropped connection for 24 hours & counting....
0 Ratings