cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Hardwire Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 3+

It should be evident with the difference in speed. I'm pretty sure the disc favours ethernet over WiFi 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Just make sure that when you plug the ethernet in, the disc should be turned off, turn it on again after the ethernet is plugged in otherwise problems might occur 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Thanks - new network cables came in today and will try this shortly
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

I'm not sure if 4 discs will work in unison as a mesh, I'm not sure of the max no of discs that you can have in a mesh, when you've plugged them all in, log into the hub manager and check the discs

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

I have got 2 discs plugged in something really strange has happened.

disc 1 - hallway IP address from smart hub 192.168.

disc 2 - kitchen IP address from my Dratek route 10.1*

they both are hardwired to the smart hub. I've ordered a 1g switch that i will plug into the route and then all 4 discs into the single 1g switch (port3 of the smart hub will service all wifi discs)

BUT how did disc 2 get the DHCP from the second network.

the BT hub is connected as a WAn device into the draytek. I need to check BT firewall settings and maybe lock down DHCP requests to the BT device only.

who knew wifi at home can get super crazy

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

so far doesnt look like they work as a MESH network.  seems to be the case that the wifi has to drop and then reconnect to the next closest disc.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Could you please clarify what you mean, aren't the discs connected via Ethernet to the hub? Or is it that the WiFi connection from the discs is unreliable 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

From my experience, I have two discs, both Ethernet connected going back to a switch that is hardwired back to the Smart Hub 2. And between the two discs and the hub itself I get continuous Wi-Fi through the main house and annexe and in the garden, down the drive… etc.

Connecting via Ethernet just makes the connection back to the rest of the network more robust and allows you to extend the network further that the repeater function of the Wi-fi would normally do (especially when using metal backed insulation which messes up Wi-fi due to the faraday cage or whatever it’s called).

So all in all can’t see why OP’s idea wouldn’t work… just in my experience.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

Hey @Monir 

So yeah the house has crazy wifi dead zones, so if i have a disc on wifi it just will not service the room. imagine a line that you cross and the wifi disconnects.

The wifi is just hit and miss.  just got the other cables so will plug them in very shortly and see if the discs work ok with the ethernet cables.. if not i will return all the kit and downgrade my package.. not worth the extra power being used in the house

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

What's the distance between the hub and the discs?

0 Ratings