cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Help setting up Asus DSL-AX82U with BT Broadband

I have a smart hub 2. I want to stop using this device and use my own modem router. My modem router is Asus DSL-AX82U. Before buying this someone had given me advice that it would be compatible with BT Broadband. 

Unfortunately the instructions are not very clear and BT give no help if you want to use your own router. 

I simply plugged in the dsl plug to the wall outlet, connecting a ethernet cable to my laptop and the device. I got a solid red light meaning it's not connecting to the Internet. Is there something I am doing wrong here?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help setting up Asus DSL-AX82U with BT Broadband

The most likely cause is that you have not entered the credentials needed to connect to the BT network.  Assuming you have FTTC, (as that is a DSL model), and not full fibre FTTP,  the following settings will probably need to be entered somewhere.  Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with the particular model, so I can’t say exactly where.

VDSL2, Service VLAN tag 101, Priority 0

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: blank (but some routers insist on something in that box, in which case anything will do)

PPP Detect

Authentication: PAP/CHAP/MSCHAPv2

IPv6: PPP

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi WSH,

How can I check i have FTTC rather than FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you have "Full Fibre" FTTP it comes through a wall mounted box with lights on it, known as an ONT or Optical Network Termination.  This uses an ethernet cable from said box to the WAN port on the Smart Hub 2 (SH2).

If you have "Fibre" FTTC it comes via the old phone socket.  This uses an RJ11 cable from the phone socket to the DSL port on the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@nplusone 

You've been given the credentials for logging into BT Broadband but when you initially set up the Asus the wizard will do most of it for you.

You can use this Asus if you have Full Fibre but it's best to go for an Asus RT device and something like the RT-AX5400 - which I have would be a good choice.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

If you've still not gotten anywhere with this the QIS (Quick Internet Setup) that you're presented with on at new or after a full reset should be enough to get you going.

Either log onto the Asus WiFi SSDs or using a cable to a LAN port use 192.168.50.1

If the router suggests a profile pick BT,in which case amny of the follwing settings may already be picked for you.

Connection type: DSL for phone line, or WAN for a direct connection from and ONT to the router WAN port
Internet Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: BT
VLAN: 101 *Only needed for xDSL!

That should be enough to get you going!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!