cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

High ping, high packet loss, high jitter and unstable connection.

Hi,

I'm writing to seek assistance with a persistent issue I've been experiencing for a long time - high ping, packet loss and jitter on my BT full fibre connection. It's been causing very frustrating disruptions, and I'm hoping to resolve this as soon as possible. Below is a screenshot of a bufferbloat test showing how badly the connection performs under various loads too. 

hawicky_0-1697060044259.png

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=1d1c571f-9469-45c4-b427-09b1e3cf4f03

Even under normal conditions, this is how my packet loss looked (graph taken from pingplotter, pinging to google.co.uk every 0.5s).

hawicky_1-1697060123255.png

The instability of the connection makes online gaming incredibly frustrating. I've had this problem for a long time but finally come to the end of my tether with it. Not to mention the connection also completely dropping out every so often (twice today), despite having "unbreakable broadband".

I'm using a wired ethernet connection to the router, which is a BT smart hub 2

I'd appreciate someone getting in touch to sort this out.

Thanks, 

Lewis

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: High ping, high packet loss, high jitter and unstable connection.

Hi Lewis, 

Welcome back to the community, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems when gaming on your connection is there anything else being done on the connection at the same time such as uploading large files or streaming 4k video? Is your ethernet connection using powerline adapters or have any switches on it?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi Neil,

These problems such as inconsistent/high packet loss are when the network is not under any significant load, neither uploading large files nor streaming 4k as you mentioned. The screenshots taken in my original post were late at night, and you can see how the network performs even (and drastically!) worse when there is load applied such as downloading or uploading. I'm typically connected through a TP-Link TL-SG105S switch, which is connected straight to the router using a cat6 cable, although these problems persist when I bypass the switch and use the connection straight from my pc to the router. 

Thanks,

Lewis

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @hawicky thanks for getting back to me, are there any other devices connected to the broadband when this is happening?

I've seen similar problems before when there was another device performing a cloud backup at the time which was saturating the connection.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi @NeilO , 

Yes, there are other devices connected, however, in the past I have tested with cloud backups/general uploads, and as touched on in the bufferbloat test, that shoots the ping up to the mid-high hundreds (bufferbloat recorded an average change of +700ms). The packet loss graph posted in my pingplotter screenshot in my original post would be during what I would consider how the network typically behaves under no load, it has however come to the point where I'm overly frustrated with it. It become increasingly aggravating when any sort of load is put on the network.

Thanks,

Lewis

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @hawicky I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to check the connection. Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings