cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Horrendous Ping Spikes multiple times a day

Hi

For several months now I've been suffering with some really bad ping spikes multiple times a day. I was hoping it would go away but after a few weeks it persisted. So i got in touch with BT and had an engineer come out. I don't want to be rude but she didn't seem to have a clue. I told her the speeds were dropping but the main issue was 1000+ ping spikes to UK servers with no one else on the connection. She said ping means nothing and is just a connection time between you and the recipient server. Its distance based and is pointless to complain about. Ok maybe ping is dependant on several factors including distance/server location but i'm sorry, no Fibre connection should be getting 1180 ping to a UK based server. So she did some tests which by the looks of things were just her running a speed test and saying everything looked fine. The speeds rarely get affected that much though and it's mostly a ping issue. She said there was nothing else she could do and left. (She also said it definitely wasn't an issue on BTs end although not sure whether i should take that at face value)

So here I am a month later with the issue still here (if anything even worse) and I don't know where to go from here. The issue sprang up out of nowhere. We haven't changed router because we don't feel we should pay for a new one if it is faulty. This issue happens over ethernet and wireless. I have changed cables and plugs. The only suggestion ive seen online is to dial the line test but we only have a cordless phone so i don't think it will give me much info. I've posted a pingplotter graph below to show the spikes. It either spikes for a few seconds every 30 seconds or so (as in the graph below) or it spikes high and stays there for up to 15 minutes and then just goes back to normal. 

It's definitely not an issue with other people on the line. The rest of the family were away last week and i disconnected everything apart from my PC and when the next set of spikes occured i double checked to make sure my PC wasn't using anything. 

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I'd ring BT again but after the last disaster appointment with the engineer i'm kind of hesitant.

bt ping.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Horrendous Ping Spikes multiple times a day

Hi @Littlepace, welcome to the forum and sorry you're experiencing high ping spikes. 
It's best to test your connection with Ethernet and no other devices connected even on wifi and run the ping plotter and see if you're getting the spikes.

Also have a look at: Solved: New Customer with large ping spikes, help please. - Page 2 - BT Community It may be of help to you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

As I said in my original post, I've done these tests over ethernet with no one else connected. So it's definitely not an issue of other people on the line. And I had a look at that page to see if there was any help but the solution involed changing the WiFi to 5ghz. My issue isn't over the wifi. It's ethernet as well so I don't think that will solve the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Littlepace, thanks for confirming you've done that. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to look at your connection to see if this can be improved.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings