cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

How To Stop Broadcasting SSID Name

Hi folks

Every Router I have ever owned over the years (for ADSL) has had the option in settings to NOT broadcast the wireless network SSID name.

Have just setup my new BT Smart Hub 2 and looked in the settings and can't see any way to stop the SSID name being broadcast to all and sundry around me.

What gives?

Have I missed this setting or is it the case that the SSID name broadcast can't be turned off?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: How To Stop Broadcasting SSID Name

How do you connect to the WiFi if you can't see the SSID?

Why do you want to not broadcast an SSID?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

"How do you connect to the WiFi if you can't see the SSID?"

You configure connections manually on devices like laptops.  i.e. when you set the device up for the first time you type in the SSID name and the Wifi password.

"Why do you want to not broadcast an SSID?"

Because hackers can sit in a car anywhere and see all the Wifi names around them and can select them and try to connect to them and hack the passwords.  If your home wireless network isn't broadcasting an SSID then the hackers don't know the SSID name.   Broadcasting your network SSID name is like giving 50% of the required info to the hacker.

Imagine I wanted to hack your bank account.  I'd need to know your account number (or initial login code) and your password.   Why would you want to give a hacker your account number and then just let them guess the password?  Surely better to not give the account number out in the first place !

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

‘What gives’ is that turning off the SSID broadcast was never part of the 802.11 specification and so turning it off can cause more problems than it solves.  Certainly, a manufacturer is not obliged to provide the feature.  Also, it is urban myth that it improves security.  Any self-respecting hacker will have tools that will ask for the SSID even if it is not being broadcast.

A better defence is a good password, (the industry recommends 20 characters for WPA2 these days), coupled with the fact that a hacker outside the house would have to be within about 50m to get a stable enough connection to work on anyway.

Oh, and your bank account number is on the bottom of any cheques you hand out and the transaction details of any debt cards you use.

Message 5 of 9

I'm sure there must be countless hackers sitting within WiFi range of your hub just waiting to steal your bandwidth.

Message 6 of 9

Not an answer to the question but a reasonable argument for not doing it:

https://fractionalciso.com/should-you-hide-your-wi-fi-ssid/

Message 7 of 9

@licquorice  Exactly. We live in an apartment and as well as my own, I can see 8 other locked networks and one unlocked. Just out of curiosity  would this unlocked SSID be a security risk for the owner/user?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

“Unlocked” is not the same thing as hiding the SSID.

Unlocked implies an open network with no password.  With an open wi-fi connection a lot depends on how it is secured.  For example, if it is a separate VLAN as a guest network etc. it shouldn’t be a problem

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

You can download wifi analyser apps for free that show hidden SSiDs so there really is little point in hiding it.

As has already been said,  you will be far better to use a strong password.

In any event most hacks happen through the home owner/user downloading something that is malicious from either a scam email or from a dodgy web site or by the user giving a scammer control of their device during an unsolicited phone call purporting to be from their ISP or bank or such like.