cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Smart Hub not broadcasting SSID

Go to solution

Just installed my new Smart Hub but my laptop ethernet connection is showing the SSID of my old router. I found the link shown below but cannot access it with the error message shown. Please advise how to get the new SSID showing. The only other post I found said to ask BT for a new router. I have tried switching it off and on and also factory reset but neither worked.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-2-Firmware-glitch-and-sneaky-networks...

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Smart Hub not broadcasting SSID

Go to solution

Ethernet connections do not use SSID, that's WiFi only.

The thread you are trying to access has been archived & is no longer viewable by anyone bar the Moderators.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

So do I need to ask BT for a replacement router or is there another solution? It would be helpful if the error msg was changed to what you said.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You haven't clarified what you're trying to do. As per my previous reply, your statement is contradictory.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

What the PC thinks the Ethernet connection is called is not relevant. Windows has remembered the old connection name.

You can change the name of the Ethernet connection by following the instructions posted here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/28375-change-network-profile-name-windows-10-a.html

You can call it whatever you want, it does not have to be the SSID of your new hub.

Deleting the Ethernet connection and then creating a new one, should do the same thing.

The SSID only applies to wireless connections, not Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

OK, so apologies to rbz5146 for not reading his reply properly. As my ethernet connection automatically took my previous router's SSID I thought it would do the same with the new one - I just find it confusing to see the old one when I hover over the ethernet icon. I have now followed Keith's link and renamed it.

Thanks both for your help.

0 Ratings