cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How do I connect my TP Link Router Archer AS 53 with my BT Full Fibre 100

Go to solution

Hi,

We now have BT Full Fibre 100 and tried today to connect our TP Link Router to it, but we can't work out how to do it.

We got stuck at the start as our phone cord plugs into the BT router, but there is no socket to plug the phone into the TP Link Router.

Can anyone help? If so, I would be grateful if you would spell it out clearly. We're not great at the tech stuff.

Thank you in advance

Louise

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I connect my TP Link Router Archer AS 53 with my BT Full Fibre 100

Go to solution

When you say “connect it” exactly what are you trying to do?...

I assume you mean use it instead of the Smart Hub 2 router (SH2).  If this is the case, be aware that if you have Digital Voice for the phone it has to go through the SH2 and that has to be the first thing connected to the ONT (Optical Network Termination), i.e. the box on the wall with lights on it.  If you want to use your router to manage your network then it is possible to connect the two such that the SH2 passes all other traffic to your router, but it is not a simple set up.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you soooooo much. To be honest, you have probably answered it for us. If it is not easy, we wouldn't even attempt it. I think we will abandon it and sell the router instead.

Yours gratefully

Louise

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Yes.  Unfortunately, Digital Voice is a proprietary version of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol).  As such, it has to use BT’s equipment.

The SH2 connects to the ONT via the WAN port on the SH2.  That is a dual-purpose port and can also function as LAN port 4, so you need to make sure the setting on the SH2 management page says FTTP mode “on”.  It should be by default.

Your phone or extensions then connect to the phone socket on the back of the SH2.  You will probably need to reboot the SH2 before it recognises the phone, at which point your phone number should appear on the SH2 home page.  If it does not Digital voice has not been set up yet.  (It may be after the Full Fibre is activated if it is a new install).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you. I need a translator 😁 but that is enough to make sure I give up on the project. Much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Ah, sorry.

I do try to explain the abbreviations as I go but I sometimes miss some.  Just for the translation then:

ONT – Optical Network Terminal, the connection point on the wall.

FTTP – Fibre To The Premises, i.e. “Full Fibre”.  (FTTC – Fibre To The (street) Cabinet is the older, via the copper phone line, internet, know as just "Fibre").

LAN – Local Area Network, i.e. the network in the house.

WAN – Wide Area Network, the connection to the rest of the world.

Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
No, pleeeease don't apologise. It isn't you, it's us. We haven't quite worked out how to use electricity yet 😁 Thanks again - Louise
0 Ratings