cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How do I set up my Smart Hub 2 with the ASUS AX500 Router?

Hi, I got BT set up today and want to set up my ASUS AX500 Router to replace the Smart Hub 2 but I have no idea how to do that, the BT website told me to open up the Hub Manager home page and to turn on something called Bridging but that setting was no where to be seen.

I can't find a single guide on the internet on how to put the Smart Hub 2 into modem mode so that I can connect the ASUS router, any help would be appreciated. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I set up my Smart Hub 2 with the ASUS AX500 Router?

you cannot put SH2 into modem mode.  are you retaining digital voice?  if so then you need to have SH2 connected to the ONT (modem)

there are numerous posts on the forum covering what you intend to do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@ConorJ 

The answer depends on what Fibre broadband you have and whether you have Digital Voice and if so wish to keep it.

Also exactly what Asus device do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I have Digital Voice but don't mind not using it, I have Full Fibre 500.

And I have the ASUS RT-AX86U.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

up to you but if you want to use your landline phone to make or receive calls then the SH2must be the first device connected to the ONT   you can then connect the ASUS to the SH2.  there are numerous posts about this using search

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@ConorJ - you can discount Bridge Mode then. Ignoring the fact that the Consumer variant of the SH2 does not support it, it would only really be helpful if you had an ADSL/VDSL connection (you have neither, you have FTTP).

If you're happy to ditch Digital Voice then you can remove the SH2 from the equation entirely. You just need to configure the Asus to use PPPoE over it's WAN connection. It will expect a PPP username/password, for which you can use bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password BT. All you then need to do is run an ethernet cable between the WAN port on the Asus and the LAN port on the Openreach ONT.

If you do want to retain the SH2/DV, then another two possibilites are: -

Either, change the Operation Mode on the Asus to 'Access Point' and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the Asus to a LAN port on the SH2. This will disable the vast majority of features on the Asus, however you will still be able to use it for wireless connectivity. You may want to also consider disabling wireless on the SH2. 

Or, leave the Asus in Router mode but configure it to use an IP address in the same subnet as the SH2 but outside of its DHCP pool e.g. 192.168.1.1. Disable DHCP on the Asus router and run an ethernet cable from LAN port on the Asus to a LAN port on the SH2. Again, you may wish to disable wireless on the SH2. This setup will allow you to retain some of the Asus functionality but does have other implications like introducing 'double NAT' (best to do your own research on that one!).

Recommending an option depends on what you're hoping to achieve really.

0 Ratings