cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 46

Re: How to configure HG612 modem to connect to BT Broadband ?

Go to solution

I believe the several miles of ADSL line is copper to the exchange

If its an ADSL connection you have, then the PPPoE does not apply as it would be PPPoA which I think has to be configured on the modem.

See https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612

https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612_-_Basic#DSL_configuration

Authentication is done on the HG612.

Message 22 of 46

Go to solution

I was just about to post the same as @Keith_Beddoe when the penny dropped you were on ADSL. I think we were all assuming VDSL & no one, including me, had thought to verify.

Message 23 of 46

Go to solution

Well spotted @Keith_Beddoe 

Yes, if it is an ADSL connection, PPPoA is required with VPI/VCI of 0/38.

The HG612 under normal circumstances cannot be accessed and is pre-configured for ADSL as well as VDSL connections. The PPPoA credentials will be set on the router.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 46

Go to solution

So it just works, no need to unlock it is wrong ?

Sorry did not realise that SH2 meant Smart Hub 2. And do have one, also Home Hub 5.0 and BT Home Hub 2.0.

Does it make sense to reconnect one of these and interrogate what settings it is actually using?

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 46

Go to solution

The HG612 in its default state will connect with whatever DSL type is present as all modes will be ticked by default.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 46

Go to solution

To verify if the locked HG612 is working, simply connect it to the WAN port of your Home Hub5 and see if that works OK.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 46

Go to solution

Hmm, looking into this a bit further, I'm not now sure how the HG612 operates on ADSL.

The DSL layer will connect as the default is to try all modes until connection is obtained. However, I'm not sure whether it then automatically configures the PPPoA settings on the modem or whether it requires them to be set on the router.

I thought the HG612 was agnostic to ISP, hence not expecting to have to enter any ISP specific details (which is impossible on a locked device).

Question for @Keith_Beddoe who has ADSL. Does your TP Link require PPPoA  username and password to be entered or just vpi/vci parameters?

@nurquhar1  Try simply connecting your laptop to LAN port 1 and see if it works. I.e, see if the HG612 is behaving as a single port modem/router when connected to an ADSL line.

Edit: Interesting article here  seems to suggest it needs to be unlocked to use as a pure ADSL modem.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 46

Go to solution

Does your TP Link require PPPoA username and password to be entered or just vpi/vci parameters?

@licquorice 

Yes it does.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 46

Go to solution

@licquorice 

I tried connecting the LAN1 port of HG612 to the Red WAN port of my Home Hub 5. All could get is the orange light and it constantly trying to connect but never does. Tried both HG612's, both the same.

Also connecting the HG612 LAN1 directly to the PC does not work as per the above posts. I get Error 651 when trying to the PPPoE to connect.

nurquhar1_0-1676023124873.png

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 46

Go to solution

As @rbz5416 has said, we all made the mistake of assuming you had an  FTTC (VDSL) service rather than the ADSL service you actually have.

VDSL is PPPoE whereas ADSL is PPPoA.

With PPPoE, the credentials are entered on the router rather than the modem and I have assumed (perhaps wrongly) that this is also the case for PPPoA. The confusion is further compounded by the fact that the HG612 will connect automatically at the DSL layer (as verified by the green DSL light on your HG612), but may not connect at the PPP layer if the credentials are required to be entered on the modem rather than the router.

I suspect the only way around this is to unlock the HG612 and follow the procedure detailed in the link I posted earlier.

0 Ratings