cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

How to get SH2 working with Firewalla Purple SE and Draytek Vigor 160

Hi

I've been researching around for a while and it looks like this should, in theory, be possible, but I'm not sure how at the moment.

I have a BT SmartHub 2 which has been working fine for a couple of years.  I have now purchased a Firewalla Purple SE which I want to install in router mode, and then realising that only has RJ45 ports I then purchased a Draytek Vigor 160 ADSL modem/router.

I thought all I would need to do was move the RJ11 from the SH2 to the Draytek, put the Draytek in modem mode only (i.e. just bridge the packets) and then connect the Draytek to the WAN port on the SH2 and make sure FTTP mode was enabled on it (which it was already, I noted).  This would be my first test, if I could get that working, I'd be reasonably confident that I'd be able to insert the firewall inbetween the two.

Sadly it doesn't work and I'm not sure why.  There doesn't seem to be many config options on the SH2 (or the Draytek for that matter) and the logs don't seem to really help.

There are some other things I could try: I could try configuring the Draytek in router mode but then I'd need to tell the SH2 to use a default gateway wouldn't I?  And I don't see how you do that on the SH2.  It looks like the only thing I can configure is the IP address and subnet mask of the SH2 and the DHCP address range.  If I put the SH2 behind a router, how do I get it to find the internet?

If anyone has any suggestions of how to get the kit listed in the subject line to play nicely together, I would very much appreciate your guidance!  I'm half worried somebody's going to say I have everything I need but ditch the SH2 and replace it with my own access points, but then, will that affect the Digital Voice?  Yes, I've heard DV can be a problem, so please don't tell me what I'm trying to do is impossible ...... I really need this Firewalla installed and working!

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: How to get SH2 working with Firewalla Purple SE and Draytek Vigor 160

First things first, if you want Digital Voice you need to connect the SH2 directly to line.

Have you set the Vlan id on the Draytek to 101?

No idea why you need an expensive firewall

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

Yes, as per the Vigor config guide, I enabled 'Service VLAN' in the VDSL2 Setting for the WAN port to tag 101.

Why does DV need SSH2 connection to line?  It's not VoIP or not routable or something?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

Must admit I haven't tried using a modem with VDSL for DV. Thinking about it, it shouldn't be any different to an FTTP connection.

I assume you have a standard VDSL connection and not a G.Fast connection

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

Just standard VDSL here, nothing fancy.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

To eliminate a problem with the hub, try making a direct PPPoE connection with a laptop/ PC connected to the modem. If that works, the problem lies with the hub, if it doesn't, the problem lies with the modem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

Yeah, I was planning to try that test.  I should really do that next.  I guess I wasn't clear on where this was going, because I can't see the config options I think I would need to put a router before the SH2.  When FTTP mode is enabled, how exactly is the WAN port used on the SH2, in terms of IP packets and routing?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

You definitely can't put another router in-between the modem and hub if you want DV. That definitely won't work.

Port 4 just becomes a normal WAN port instead of a LAN port when in FTTP mode.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 28

Hmm, so how does DV work then?  So I guess this article, https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-btfttc-openreachmodem, that covers a different Draytek (I have the Vigor167 but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to do a similar trick), was written before the SH2 and before DV and wouldn't work anymore?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

DV is a proprietary VoIP system that requires the use of the home hub providing the PPPoE session hence the hub has to be the PPPoE device.

Therefore it should work in conjunction with a third party modem but not a third party router providing the PPPoE session.

Your link gives me a 404 btw.

0 Ratings