cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: How to get a Smart Hub 2 from BT

@countrypaul I agree, and this is something I did the first time I lost the internet connection a couple of weeks ago as it was the first time in nearly 3 years that the internet connection was lost and all 3 deco units were showing a red solid light (it should be green).

Because it was the first issue I'd had using my current configuration, and simply rebooting the equipment (Deco's and BT Hub) didn't work, I connected a laptop directly to the BT Hub, which requires me to set a static IP address using the correct subnet range, so not as simply as plugging in an ethernet cable, but not an issue for me.  The laptop did connect to the Internet without issue.  After that test, rebooting everything seemed to get it all working again.  Not sure why the earlier reboots didn't have the desired affect.

I've since read that the best way to "fix" the issue is to turn off the main deco unit while rebooting the BT hub, then when it has it's internet connection, re-power the main deco unit.  That has worked first time with the last 3 disconnections, but it does require me to reboot the BT hub, not just the main deco.

I also have to reboot the other two decos as they seem to lose information about being wired and so start to communicate with the main deco via wifi.  It may be if I left them long enough, they would sort themselves out, but while I'm rebooting, I prefer to get them working properly as my main desktop is connected through one of the downstairs deco units, so when this is wifi, the connection isn't as good.

I definitely haven't ruled out the possibility these issues are being caused by the deco units and have a list of things to try if/when the internet connection is next lost again, although I'm now upto 4 days without an issue!

If it does happen again, I plan to connect my laptop direclty to the BT hub without first rebooting it.  The problem is, if the BT hub is "briefly" losing the internet connection, which then affects the deco units and they start reporting it, by the time I get to the BT hub, it may be back on line!

When the BT engineer visited at the weekend to test the internet at the master BT socket he disconnected the BT Hub.  I was expecting to have to reboot the deco units when it was re-connected, but to my surprise everything continue to work perfectly when the hub was plugged back into the BT socket!  It seems to me, this is how a "temporary" interruption to the internet should be handled by the equipment, suggesting the disconnects I'm getting are caused by hardware; either the BT hub or the main deco unit that is connected to the BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

@milleniumaire 

If you just have the SH1/HH6 then that will not work with digital voice.  Do you have the WiFi split with 2.4/5GHz with different SSID as that cannot be done with SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Turning the WiFi and DHCP off is not the same as a modem/bridge mode.  Setting your Main Deco unit within the router DMZ (assuming one can be set up) might help, but at the minute the router is still acting as a router and performing Network Address Translation (NAT).  And you may or may not be "double NATting).

Honestly, the simplest solution would be to set the Deco units up in AP/Mesh mode and let the router act as a router with just its WiFi turned off.  Just getting another modem/router may well not fix the issue as it could just as easily be caused by a client as by the router!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 14 of 18

@imjolly 

I know my Smart Hub will not work with Digital Voice because it doesn't have a phone connection in the back.  This is why I've been saying BT will DEFINITELY be sending me a Smart Hub 2 at some point in the next few months when they want to force me to use Digital Voice.  So, why not send it to me now?  Cost isn't an issue as it will be the same cost if they send it this week or in 2 months time!

I don't use wifi or DHCP on the BT Hub.  These are switched off so it is really only being used as a modem.  The main Deco unit does DHCP and all Deco units provide both 2.4 and 5GHz wifi, however the SSID for both is always different as the Deco adds a suffix for the 2.4 band.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

@Crimliar 

Yes, I understand the BT Smart Hub can't be setup as a bridge/modem only, so turning off wifi and DHCP is the best I could do.  I did this based on info I found years ago, even prior to the Deco units, when I was using a Netgear router, which had more functionality than the BT hub, so even back then I only used the hub as a modem.

I vaguely remember being concerned about NAT, but in practice it doesn't appear to have caused an issue and the speeds I'm getting are more than acceptable for all our needs.

I see the Smart Hub 2 does have a bridge mode.

The reason these recent problems are such an issue is because my setup has been rock solid and trouble free since I installed the 3 deco units in August 2020.  Compared to the previous routers I had, that had to be rebooted regularly, my current setup has worked flawlessly, until now, which makes the recent issues more prominent, especially as they have occurred 4 times in 2 weeks.  I'm used to simply ignoring all the network hardware I have installed as it just works.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

It is certainly not being used as a modem. It is still routing and natting even with DHCP turned off. A modem has no knowledge of the IP layer, the hub is still acting on the IP layer.

Why not simply get a true modem such as an Huawei HG 612

Edit: The Smart Hub 2 does not have a bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

See how to identify and resolve double nat problems for a decent explanation.  

*Allways check that you trust external links before clicking on them!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

@licquorice 

"Why not simply get a true modem such as an Huawei HG 612".

I did look at purchasing a true modem when I first started using the BT Home Hub, but as my setup was working flawlessly, I decided not to waste my money!

I'm hoping I may be able to switch to fibre if it is ever made available in my area.  The Openreach engineer pointed out that our telegraph poles were already wired for fibre, so he was surprised it wasn't yet available!

0 Ratings