cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

How to get sky Q to work on 5ghz?

I have a smart hub 2 and cannot get it to link to sky Q on 5ghz. I want it to work wirelessly and its only about 3m away from the router going through 1 plasterboard wall. I have read some bits about sky don't allow it unless you have their router but other things about different channels in the hub manager. An engineer has just been out and he said its because its in mode 1 and mode 2 would make it work. (I tried that and it didn't make a difference.) Still on2.4 ghz. Anyone got any ideas if it's possible. TIA.

Picture attached if it helps

Screenshot_20230615_205436_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to get sky Q to work on 5ghz?

Sky Q uses channel 36 so you should change the hub 5ghz network to another channel say 48to avoid conflict.  I would also go back to mode 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

As you have read elsewhere @Pg09, a Sky Q box will only use 2.4 GHz to connect wirelessly to a router unless you have Sky broadband.

The 5 GHz band is reserved for creating the Sky Q mesh and for connecting to Sky Q mini boxes.

There is nothing you can do to change this.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Pg09   As Sky restrict you to the 2.4 GHz band, why don’t you buy a simple Ethernet extension kit and neatly install an Ethernet box at both end’s through your plaster board. Extremely easy, I’m in my 70s and have fully Ethernet wired my house with all Sky Q boxes connected by Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

But will this make the 5 ghz work?  Someone else has posted that sky q will not work on 5ghz??

Thanks in advanced 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

moving hub 5ghz network will not change the SKYq connection to your hub as it will be 2.4 but it will help if you have any mini boxes connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Pg09 

With Sky Q connected by WiFi you are restricted to the 2.4 GHz band. Absolutely nothing is going to remove Sky Q restriction on 2.4 GHz band only. You will never be able to use the 5 GHz band when using BT broadband. The 5 GHz band is only available if Sky is your internet provider.

With Ethernet you can go up to Gigabit speeds depending on your Sky Q box (the old boxes have 100 mbps network cards in them).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

To be honest @Pg09 , the Sky Q mesh and general WiFi performance is pretty pants.

When I had it I actually turned off all WiFi on the Q boxes and used power line adapters. 

Even if you had Sky broadband, the mesh created is limited to 3Mbps throughput at each additional node (or mini box).

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings