cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

How to set up for Digital voice and Tv but using ASU’s zenwifi for wifi

Go to solution

Hi

I have BT fttp with an openreach modem and my current setup is to have ASUS zenwifi mesh connected directly to the openreach modem providing my wifi, as this gives me better coverage than the Smart Hub 2 alone 

As I am not using the Home Hub, I can’t currently use digital voice or the new Tv box which is only compatible with the home hub.

I am trying to get my head around how I would need to set up my home network to enable me to have both:

1 - wifi Network with the ASU’s mesh, without any noticeable delays caused by also using the Hub

2 - Smart Hub 2 able to support digital voice and Tv 

For example, do I need to have the home hub connected directly to the openreach modem and then the asus mesh connected via Ethernet to Home Hub? And is that going to slow down my wifi network?

Any help appreciated. I am not an expert on this so please type slowly 😆

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: How to set up for Digital voice and Tv but using ASU’s zenwifi for wifi

Go to solution

You need to connect the SH2 directly to the ONT and then connect the mesh in AP mode to the hub LAN port to LAN port.

You can either turn off the WiFi on the hub or leave it as a separate SSID to the mesh.

Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Simplest approach. Home Hub connects to ONT by Ethernet. Asus unit connects to Home hub by Ethernet (wan port on the Asus). 

See what happens. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

thanks a lot. Would you expect running the ASUS in AP mode losing any functionality worth keeping or hurting the speed?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@PBXwrote:

Would you expect running the ASUS in AP mode losing any functionality worth keeping or hurting the speed?

You would be better off just trying it to see for yourself. But it's kind of irrelevant if you want DV as there's no alternative.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution
I can live without DV and TV if the alternative is slow Internet, but would prefer all three!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@stevebrass connecting to the Asus WAN port is far from the simplest solution, besides double natting it will involve creating 2 subnets. Asus in ap mode and LAN to LAN is much simpler 

Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I'm no expert but according to this Asus video you can go from  the LAN of SH2 to Asus WAN How to Setup ASUS Router as Access Point mode? | ASUS SUPPORT - YouTube

I myself have it connected it this way and no issues. 

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I didn't say you couldn't do it. I said it wasn't the simplest way.

Just looked at the video and by putting the Asus in AP mode it would appear to set the WAN port as a LAN port anyway. So effectively connecting LAN to LAN not LAN to WAN

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Not the simplest way technology wise but simpler for the op surely? No changing the mesh settings and so on. 
Just plug in/out a few cables    

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’