cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

How to setup ASUS XT8 mesh Wi-Fi on smart hub 2

Hi there. I have recently purchased ASUS XT8 to create mesh Wi-Fi network at home. I have smart hub 2 at home. I am unable to setup the mesh network as the internet is not relayed via the Ethernet cable from the smart hub 2 to my XT8. Any help would be really appreciated. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: How to setup ASUS XT8 mesh Wi-Fi on smart hub 2

Are you logged into the Asus via Wi-Fi?

How are you connecting the devices - which port to which port?

The Asus should auto detect the home hub. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thanks Steve. I am trying to setup the ASUS by going into their app on my phone. The Ethernet cable is going from the WAN port (blue) on XT8 to the Ethernet port of the smart hub 2. I have tried both WAN port and normal port on the hub 2. No joys.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Check the IP address of the XT8, the dafault BT gateway is 192.168.1.254 so the IP address of the XT 8 should fall within the range 192.168.1.1 -192.168.1.253 and not conflict with any other address.

Disable DHCP on the XT 8 (assuming it has an integral DHCP server.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Is there a set up wizard on the ASUs?

or can you get to the WAN page?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thanks Les. Spoke to ASUS today. They suggested that the Smart hub 2 has to be changed to Modem mode. I will try as you suggested and will come back with my experience.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Thanks Steve. Will come back to you once I figure it out

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Asus talking nonsense, the Smart Hub doesn't have a modem mode.

If you are connecting hub LAN port to Asus WAN port, you either need to give the WAN port an address outside of the DHCP range of the hub such as 192.168.1.10 and a Gateway address of 192.168.1.254 or set the WAN port to DHCP rather than PPPoE

Message 9 of 13

Thanks Licquorice. I will try doing that in the evening today.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

There is a long and detailed thread about repurposing a router as a wireless point on avforums.com . I’d post a link but I believe it’s not allowed here.