cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

How to use TP link M5 with the BT smart hub 2

Just started a BT contract this week and received the smart hub 2. Have no internet at all in some rooms of the house, so bought the TP Link M5 mesh but I can’t seem to figure out how to set it up. 

Is it actually possible to plug the M5 deco directly into the smart hub or do I need to replace the smart hub with something else? Would turning WiFi off on the hub work given there is no modem only mode? 

thanks. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: How to use TP link M5 with the BT smart hub 2

I have the M5 system - you need an  app on your phone to set it up.  I thought the instructions really straightforward. I don't use a router, just connect the M5 system direct via a modem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Problem is there is no modem -- just the smarthub...
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Then you need to buy one, such as the Huawei HG612 if you have FTTC  broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I also have the Deco M5. There are 2 ways you can run it but it depends on what type of broadband you have.

Put it in access point mode where it then plugs into one of the LAN ports of the smart hub and just works as a replacement for the hub’s built in Wi-Fi, which you can turn off.

Router mode (the default) where it runs as a full router and replaces the smart hub, but as you said it doesn’t have a modem built in, so is really only suitable if you have FTTP (or a separate DSL modem)

If you have FTTC or ADSL you are probably going to want to enable access point mode.    

I have FTTP and use mine in access point mode so I can use digital voice through the smart hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

This is the option you will want under Advanced > Operation Mode 

FC2A028E-06A6-4ADA-A1E4-DB7E9AD46BEF.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@dave44  In your interesting reply, which seems to fit my circumstances exactly, you showed a phone screenshot, and mentioned "Advanced > Operation Mode"

But my  DECO app doesn't look like that at all.  It just says 'connect to the modem...' etc.  Could you say what is the right app to get?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I ended up sending it back and buying the BT whole home WiFi instead, which has been very good and so much easier. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@jwheaterThe app is simply called Tp-link Deco.  I’ve put the link below for the iPhone version. If you’re on Android you’ll have to search yourself I’m afraid.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/tp-link-deco/id1186159417

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Other benefit to the Deco's.
If you'd like to split the 2.5 and 5G bands. They have a "guest network" facility, even in Access Point mode. Y ou can have one "band" on the main wifi and the other on the Guest.

Or you can just use the guest wifi as intended, and have an additional wifi network, isolated from your main one. Ideal, in these IOT and working from home, times.
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings