cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
networkingmanc
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

How would I set up a VPN client on a router with BT?

Go to solution

Hello,

I would like to run a VPN such as NordVPN on a router so it is system wide on my network and not just per device. How would I go about doing this? I only have the router that BT have supplied me with which is a Smart Hub. What router should I buy that can be used simply for this purpose and would that router be compatible with BT? And would I require a separate modem?

Thanks for any help and suggestions. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: How would I set up a VPN client on a router with BT?

Go to solution

You can use any modem/router that is compatible with the type of service you have. If you have FTTP, you will only need a router as the ONT is the modem. If you have G.Fast, your options are very limited, probably go with the Asus DSL AC88U as a combined modem/router. For ADSL and VDSL, you have multiple choices of device.

0 Ratings
networkingmanc
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

All of the tutorials on the internet show that you have to install firmware onto a router before you can use a VPN client. Are there any ADSL routers that work out of the box without having to install any firmware? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

No idea about VPNs, I can only advise regarding suitability of routers for your service. There are probably better forums for getting advice on using a VPN on a router. 

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

NordVPN has a useful guide (https://nordvpn.com/blog/setup-vpn-router/) and from there you can also find a list of routers that will be 'easy' to set up (mostly ASUS).