cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

IPTV settings on ER605

Go to solution

Anybody from the community explain why can I NOT access this link

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Using-a-3rd-party-router-for-Multicast/td-p/1048582

it states I "do not have enough resources" which is presumably an access level issue. I am signed in.

I have BTTV and BTSport with my BT FTTP but cannot get a TP-Link ER605 to access the IPTV Channels for BTSport 9channel 430)

The router is connected and working fine apart from the IPTV channels on the Youview box.

I have enabled IGMP and tried setting IGMP V2 and V3 without success.

The above link may be help but I cannot access it 😞

Thanks

Ron

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: IPTV settings on ER605

Go to solution

For whatever reason, that thread has been permanently archived, so only the Mods can see it.

If the TV service works with a BT Hub then this is something you need to take up with TP-Link.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @rbz5416 

Thanks for the swift but disappointing reply!

I understand that BT (or its community) cannot support all the possible third party routers, HOWEVER it should provide the information regarding its own services to enable them to operate on other kit.

Could the information in this thread be made public? It may or may not help me but it seems unreasonable to withhold it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

I suspect the only information in that thread would be to enable IGMP snooping. There are no other settings that can be made.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

I understand the frustration, not least because I have the same issue with my Fritzbox router. But we have the information we require from BT in that IGMP must be passed to the receiving device unhindered. The fact that it isn't can only be addressed by the router manufacturer.

Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

OK Thanks @licquorice and @rbz5416 

There are other custom settings available in the ER605 for IPTV, I suspect these are many variations across the globe. 

One of the reasons I chose the ER605 was that it appeared to handle IGMP,

I have raised the issue in the TP-Link Forum but it seems very "quiet"

Thanks again for your confirmation that IGMP is all that is required.

Ron

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Hi,

Would any of the Moderators on this board be willing to defend BT's decision to HIDE any information that may help it's customers use a different router?

It appears that IGMP on its own is not sufficient to view the IPTV channels and further information may help. However BT appear to have taken a specific decision to obstruct the use of third-party routers. Even if this is legal, it certainly is NOT customer-centric.

I can see no benefit to BT by hiding these posts which may provide assistance on how to configure third-party routers, however it means they will lose this customer when my contract ends.

Anyone willing or able to defend BT's approach or better still actually help a customer?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

BT do not stop you using third party routers, they just do not provide any support for them.

Have you asked on the TP Link forum?

Basic TP link routers do work with BT TV multicast streams, without any configuration. There are plenty of forum members using them.

Models like the TP-Link ARCHER VR400 AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, and even the cheapest TP-Link TD-W9970 work without any change of settings.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe 

Yes I have asked on the TP-Link forums, but they are very quiet so far.

I understand that BT do not support third-party routers. However they are also hiding posts on this Community Forum that have been created by their customers which could provide possible assistance. This seems to me to go beyond just "not supporting" to deliberate obstruction.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Those deleted posts were many years old, and were provided by forum members, not BT. 

They only covered a small number of third party routers, many of which are now obsolete. That thread was idle for a long time, as there were no new contributions from forum members.

The thread was archived for a while, and then deleted by the moderators, which is why you get an error message.

0 Ratings