cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Idiots guide

Never had any problems with BT till this year and it started dropping. Had 3 engineers out and it works for a while and then something seems to happen overnight (update?) and it’s back to dropping/slow speeds.  I bought a TP link Ac1200 and thought all I had to do was replace the Bt smart hub with that, which didn’t work. Could someone give an idiots guide to what I need to do please.  I’m getting confused with which is the router/ modem, do I keep them both or does one replace the other.  (See I said I needed an idiots guide!) TIA 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Idiots guide

The first question is what broadband service do you have. Full fibre to the home with an optical modem (ONT), Ultrafast broadband (G.Fast), Super fast broadband (FTTC) or standard ADSL broadband.

Message 3 of 6

Second question is what version of the TP Link device do you have? Tp Link devices have strange nomenclature. Is it a VDSL/ADSL modem/ router or just a standalone router. The box should indicate which it is.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It says fibre broadband Vdsl and this was the description of the router; 

TP-LINK ARCHER C1200 AC1200 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT CABLE ROUTER 4 PORT UK

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

According to what you have posted that is a router only so you will still need to connect that to a modem in order to use it. As a previous poster has mentioend what conenction do you have, FTTC? FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

If you fibre broadband VDSL, you will need a separate modem in conjunction with the TP Link. An Openreach HG612 from ebay would be suitable. Alternatively, exchange the TP Link router for a combined VDSL modem/router.
0 Ratings