cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Increasing WIFI speed across the house (FTTP 500)

Hi,

Could someone help please, I have looked through previous posts but find it all confusing.  Currently i have FTTP and am on Fibre 500 with a Smarthub 2, we are heavy wifi users with smart plugs/lighting throughout the house plus PS & Xbox also Sky Q and Ring cameras.

What I'm after is increasing the wifi speeds across the house to get the most out of the fibre 500, I have been around the house doing speed checks with my phone and it ranges from 34mb download to 256mb (stood next to the box) (This was done with the Xbox/PS4 and Sky Q not being used/watched.)

I have looked at mesh systems like Eero and google, but have read that there can be problems using these with the smarthub and Sky Q.  Is this true? What would be the best way for me to increase the speeds?

(Hardwiring unfortunately hardwiring isn't an option at the minute.)

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Increasing WIFI speed across the house (FTTP 500)

I use Netgear Orbi mesh (RBK50) with one satellite connected to a SH2.

I don't use Sky Q

Otherwise coverage is very good.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi @WayneMez and welcome to our community.

As @stevebrass has pointed to there are lots of different mesh systems to chose from. Check our our Complete WiFi which will also give great coverage.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

What sort of speeds are you getting over the Netgear system? Just looking at that system is it worth me looking at the wifi 6 version or would there no real added benefit?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Ideally I didn't want to pay more on the monthly subscription for that disc, would the whole home system work the same? (was looking at the Premium Whole home system)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@WayneMez wrote:
? (was looking at the Premium Whole home system)

There is a long thread discussing the problems with this system.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Premium-amp-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-6-SGAB-C20832C-Early-Adopter-now...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Another choice https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/

They do Wi-Fi 6 nodes, but its not worth it unless your devices support it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The SH2 supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands, have you checked what each of your devices supports? Things like smart switches use very little bandwidth and generally use 2.4GHz anyway, Smartphones and tables often support 5GHz which gives higher bandwidth. making sure each device is on the most appropriate of the 2.4 and 5GHz options could allow you more bandwidth without forking out on additional hardware to start with. I believe that the SH2 cannot set different SSID's for the 2 frequencies however which may be a significant limitation.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Quoted from an old post by @SeanD Which may be of interest.

Quote "I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible."

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

See other posts re wifi 6

I get 150mbs consistently around the house on a 150 mbs service.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings