cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Intermittent Wi-Fi drop outs in one room, time for Powerline?

I’ve been on BT for a few months now, it’s been pretty good so far but am getting a few intermittent Wi-Fi drop outs in one room, the one furthest from the smart hub.

What are the options here? I’ve been reading about WiFi extenders and Powerlines etc. but I’m getting a bit lost in it all. The general consensus seems to be that Powerlines would be better than extenders? Maybe something like the TL-WPA7617, TL-WPA7517, or even Tl-WPA8631P? Again I’m getting a bit lost with all the differences between the models. I'm guessing I would want it to be able to clone the smart hub details?

And then I start looking at (say) the BT Mini Whole Home. Can this be added to the existing smart hub 2? Would this be better?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Intermittent Wi-Fi drop outs in one room, time for Powerline?

Message 3 of 12

The difference between the models is speed and plug through capability. You only need plug through if you are short on sockets and the socket will be required for another device.  The 617 and 517 are 1000Mbps and the 8631 is 1300Mps. Depending on your broadband speed and requirements, you may not need those speeds (although in reality you won't get anywhere near them).  The 4220 kit is perfectly adequate if you only have FTTC broadband.

You can clone the hub details with any of the TP Link adapters but personally I wouldn't. If the Wifi access point has a different SSID (network name) you can not only tell which source your device is connected to, you can force your device to change to a stronger signal if necessary.

Message 4 of 12

An option might be to relocate the Hub to somewhere more central. If on FTTC this is a simple telephone extension or ethernet cable for FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@licquorice Thanks. I'm on Full Fibre 100, would the 4220 kit still be adequate or should I bump up to the 617 or 517?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@rbz5416 Thanks. I'm on Full Fibre 100 with the smart hub next to the TV and connected by ethernet to the TV box.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

@FredS wrote:

@licquorice Thanks. I'm on Full Fibre 100, would the 4220 kit still be adequate or should I bump up to the 617 or 517?

The 4220 kit should probably be sufficient, real life speed is dependent on the quality of your electrical wiring. What do you use the wifi for? If it is just for general browsing and email, they will be entirely sufficient.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@licquorice Working from home and other general things, nothing heavy duty like gaming. I'll need to check socket availability, see if I need one with passthrough.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I have one other question before buying the Powerline. Could there be an issue with the ring circuits in the house? My circuit box has one labelled "Upstairs Ring Main" and another "Downstairs Ring Main". The smart hub is downstairs and the problem room is upstairs, is this going to be a problem?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

No, as they both originate at the same consumer unit and are in effect, connected together.

0 Ratings