cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Is there software available to scan my wifi network and router for malware?

I have 3 laptops, phone, printer and smart TV connected to my WiFi . have Malwarebytes on my devices and it found malware on a laptop I wasn't using but connected to my network. Believe it got on the laptop as I forgot to give full disk access to Malwarebytes on this particular laptop.

I formatted and re-installed the O/S on the laptop. But since then I have had to reconnect my printer 3 times, setup my smart TV twice, and my phone is acting erratically - sometimes letting me connect to the internet sometimes not. Can malware still be on my network? Would like to check my network out. Only computer literate so would prefer to find a program that could do this for me. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is there software available to scan my wifi network and router for malware?

Scanning for malware is best performed on the individual devices, using software that you can verify is malware free.  Too often people worried about malware, then go and download "fee" or supposedly "cracked" software to look for issues, and actually create the issues they are concerned about.  If you want to see what's going on within your own network, there are programs such as Wireshark, but they'll only pick up on what's on their own connection, and you need to know what you are looking at in order to understand it!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 3 of 5

Some of the symptoms you describe could be due to the router and depending on what router it is, could be due to firmware upgrades of that router. Have you checked when the router was last updated? Another possibility could be a new source of WiFi from outside you home, especially if you live close to others. If the router is set to chose which channel(s) it uses rather than you choosing it can end up on very congested ones.

If you give more details about your router, printers and TV (make, model, firmware version) others may be able to provide more help.

Message 4 of 5

Thanks, can see a pretty steep learning curve ahead 😅

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Will take a look at my router first. Thanks for your reply.
0 Ratings